1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE has no butt feathers??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mrsengeseth, Sep 5, 2008.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

MY (what i believe to be an) EE Has no rear end feathers...no nubbin where feathers will eventuallly come from. Her coop mates all have a nubbin with pin feathers beginning (granted, they are all four different breeds). My question is...uh...where's her hiney feathers?? She just has this round little rump.

2. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I had an Ameraucana rooster and 4 EE hens. One of the hens always had rumpless chicks although she was not. It must have been genetics going back to that rumpless breed ? araucana ?. Heavens only knows what hatcheries use to produce their EEs. If your bird has no tail, it will have not tail feathers.

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

with no tail will it be harder to sex the bird?

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I had a rumpless EE in my last batch of chicks. I could tell it was a roo pretty early on.

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I am NOT a chicken sexing expert....but it is perfectly easy to tell my rumpless roo from my rumpless pullets. [​IMG]

edited to add -- hey cool, now I'm "overrun with chickens!"! This post put me over the top. Coooooellllll. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by