EE hen or roo??

cajun chicken

Songster
Apr 6, 2015
Central City, LA
6 week old EE. I see saddle feathers and the comb is starting to grow. What do yall think?? Thanks

I'm going to go against the flow and say pullet. A good comb shot would help determine, but I'm not seeing anything screaming cockerel at this point.

Agree it's too young for saddle feathers. At this age it's about comb, coloring, stance.

I have zero experience in the art of sexing a bird, but I do like to tie flies for fishing, and I can tell that through this hobby I have learned a bit about hackle feathers. Hens tend to have rounded hackles, and Roosters seem to have long skinny pointy ones. Those look kind of pointy. For that reason and maybe a bit of a raised tail I say Cockerel.

I have zero experience in the art of sexing a bird, but I do like to tie flies for fishing, and I can tell that through this hobby I have learned a bit about hackle feathers. Hens tend to have rounded hackles, and Roosters seem to have long skinny pointy ones. Those look kind of pointy. For that reason and maybe a bit of a raised tail I say Cockerel.

Good info.... Thanks

Back
Top Bottom