EE in disguise? or twins?

goochgirl

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
I'm starting to wonder if Fluffy, my Wyandotte, is really an EE. (FYI, I am not responsible for naming my chickens) When we bought the girls, they were in the same pen marked Americaunas and Wyandotte. Ivy, who is pure white now was all yellow fuzz. Fluffy was yellow with brown wings and stripe down her back. Ivy started laying green eggs. Nothing from Fluffy. Last week, we found 2 eggs on the same day from Ivy. They were laid at 2 different times during the day. Someone suggested she laid one of them the night before. Then, she laid 2 eggs on another day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Today, I found 2 that were laid in the afternoon in the nest box. They are exactly the same color. Either Ivy is consistently laying twins, or Fluffy is a really brown EE with a white head who is also laying. Am I nuts? (dont answer) Or could we have picked out 2 different types of EE from the same box?

Some of my EEs were a chipmunk color as chicks, so I think she could be an EE. I know the blue/green egg color is linked to pea combs. Does Fluffy have a pea comb or a rose comb like a Wyandotte? If you have a picture it would help
big_smile.png

I will see if I can find a picture of pea/rose combs, so I know what you are talking about. Both girls combs are the same size, though. Yes, chipmunk colored is the perfect description of her as a chick. I don't have any photos... but now that I think about it more, her legs may be greenish, too. Ugh! Will have to go outside with a flashlight and investigate.

OK, combs look the same to me. Her legs look more greyish, but its dark, so really difficult to tell. This is funny. We assumed Ivy was laying all along and I kept asking Fluffy to get with the program. I may have been lecturing the wrong chicken. I always thought she was an ugly Wyandotte (but beautiful to me!).

Last edited:
Fluffy...Love the name BTW... sounds like my 2 EE's. Bothe were/are chipmunk colored and one had "egyptian" eyes.

Hope that helps.

thumbsup.gif

an ee can come in any color, because the mother could be anything with ameraucana or Araucana father or ee father for that matter or visa versa on the sex, right now I have 3 different color ee babies 1 yellow(sunshine) 2 chipmunks (chip and dale) and a grey with chipmunk markings (rocket)
the yellow 1 had a production red mom whether she gives me green eggs I'll wait to see , thats if she is even a she.

what type of Wyandotte do you think she is? I haven't seen one that is brown w/ a white head.. Sounds like you have two EE.. If you think different -It would be easy to sperate them and see if you a blue/green egg in both pens!! Do you have pictures??

OK, I found a terrible picture. We thought she was a silver laced Wy She never looked like she was supposed to look, but she is so similar to our friends Wy, we didn't question it until today. I guess I have a really good excuse to get another chicken now.

56198_fluffy_pic.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom