EE/ISA brown Cross with cool feathers. Splash or laced?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EagleTheHenpecked, Dec 28, 2011.

1. EagleTheHenpecked

EagleTheHenpecked Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2011
    Demotte
    My first time hatching eggs i sat 14 eggs and i had only 2 survive. this is one of them. i call her Ducky for ironies sake.

[​IMG]

She is a mix of my Easter Egger rooster and what i Believe to be an ISA brown hen. in otherwords a red sex link. i cant tell which hens are laying which eggs but i have it narrowed down to my buff orpington or the red sex link (ISA brown).

[​IMG]

Her feathers are this grey/brown color with white up the middle. is this known as lacing? or will she grow up to be splash? either way i think she's really cool looking and i'd like another like her.

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

looks like EE pullet coloring. 2nd pic is hard to see

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    That's a typical color from EEs, its just a mixed color with no specific name.

4. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Keep in mind the color/pattern will likely change as it gets older and molts into adult plumage.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:This is true.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Agreed - It's ducking you're seeing. And it will either be a silver female or more likely a male.

7. EagleTheHenpecked

Oct 7, 2011
    Demotte
    Illia wrote:
    Agreed - It's ducking you're seeing. And it will either be a silver female or more likely a male.

and what exactly is ducking? and silver coloring in chickens is the grey color that ISNT blue right? because the "blue" always looks grey to me.
    and i'm fairly sure she's a girl. the brooder mate to her (the only other hatch survivor) is an olive egger (EE + BPR) with the sex-linking white dot on his head and a red comb at 3 weeks. she doesnt even have a comb yet. and she is tiny compared to him. What would a female silver EE look like? or a silver anything chicken for that matter...​

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Quote:and what exactly is ducking? and silver coloring in chickens is the grey color that ISNT blue right? because the "blue" always looks grey to me.
    and i'm fairly sure she's a girl. the brooder mate to her (the only other hatch survivor) is an olive egger (EE + BPR) with the sex-linking white dot on his head and a red comb at 3 weeks. she doesnt even have a comb yet. and she is tiny compared to him. What would a female silver EE look like? or a silver anything chicken for that matter...

Ducking is a typo. Try searching "silver duckwing" for a general idea of what the pattern looks like (yours may not look exactly like that because of the mixed genetics but at least you'll have a general idea). It's still very early -- many cockerels don't show a red comb yet at 3 weeks. In a couple of weeks when the wings and chest are fully feathered, try posting some more pictures.

9. EagleTheHenpecked

Oct 7, 2011
    Demotte
    Okay, So ducky has grown a bit more, she was hatched on december 5. her comb has no red on it, and i have hatched three chicks with a similar down pattern. two are almost identical to her, and one is more white, but the one that has more white is getting a red comb almost a month old, this, coupled with how much smaller she is than the confirmed roo, leads me to think that she, including these new two. are females.

here is a more recent picture of her.

[​IMG]

here is the new one, i call him rocky road

[​IMG]

any new ideas or opinions? would Rocky also be "silver duckwing?"

10. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

2nd looks like a roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by