EE Or Ameracauna

Is there a difference in the Roo comb sizes in the EE and Ameraucanas? With so many people selling EE and ameraucanas, how do you tell what you are getting?
Th easiest and sure fire way to know what you are getting is to learn what an actual ameraucana is. Ameraucanas come in 8 colors, have slate legs, pea comb, and muffs and beard. The one you have as your avatar, has incorrect come, wrong leg color, and not one of the 8 colors. there are a few color projects people are working on to get accepted he isn't one. Here is the ameraucana breeders club website www.ameraucana.org . Here you can find reliable sources to obtain ameraucana, learn more about the orgin of them, view the stand, and view pictures of the 8 accepted varities in both LF and bantam, also chicks. Hatcheries and farm stores mislabel EEs as ameraucanas frequently. There are also dishonest or uneducated "breeders" out there.

Wow, I have been calling him an easter egger for a while now since the legs have always been cream in color but now I am certain. Thank You! Others have said he is an easter egger too. They are recognized breed or not? Anyway he is getting pretty much like an officer in the MARINES with his females and I know he should protect them but not try to spur me So, off come the spurs this afternoon. If he doesn't change he will end up in the freezer, even though the thought makes me sad.

Wow, I have been calling him an easter egger for a while now since the legs have always been cream in color but now I am certain. Thank You! Others have said he is an easter egger too. They are recognized breed or not? Anyway he is getting pretty much like an officer in the MARINES with his females and I know he should protect them but not try to spur me So, off come the spurs this afternoon. If he doesn't change he will end up in the freezer, even though the thought makes me sad.
No easter eggers are not a breed. They are really just mutts with some ameraucana or araucana somewhere in its ancestory. They will not become an accepted breed, as they are just mixes and don't breed true

I couldn't see how EE could be a breed also. I have several farm stores that want them because they are easy to sell. I raise them to pay my feed bill and any other chicken needs. My love is for my Orpingtons. I raise several colors and their temperament is wonderful, at least mine are.

No easter eggers are not a breed. They are really just mutts with some ameraucana or araucana somewhere in its ancestory. They will not become an accepted breed, as they are just mixes and don't breed true
MOST of them are mixes. The problem with the Ameraucana breed, is that you can't cross colors. For example, if you cross a wheaten and a silver, you're likely to get a gold or red with columbian markings, which isn't allowed in the breed. So the only way to stick to the breed standard, is to breed each color to itself.

If you do cross colors, the result is still technically a purebred ameraucana. But the offspring are considered 'easter eggers' because they fail to match the breed standard.

If you ask me, it's a really silly. But it does mean that SOME easter eggers out there, really are purebred ameraucanas. Although not many, because those interested in keeping and breeding purebred ameraucanas, aren't usually going to let them cross colors. And those that are just interested in the blue egg gene, aren't usually going to invest the extra money in purebred chickens.

MOST of them are mixes. The problem with the Ameraucana breed, is that you can't cross colors. For example, if you cross a wheaten and a silver, you're likely to get a gold or red with columbian markings, which isn't allowed in the breed. So the only way to stick to the breed standard, is to breed each color to itself.

If you do cross colors, the result is still technically a purebred ameraucana. But the offspring are considered 'easter eggers' because they fail to match the breed standard.

If you ask me, it's a really silly. But it does mean that SOME easter eggers out there, really are purebred ameraucanas. Although not many, because those interested in keeping and breeding purebred ameraucanas, aren't usually going to let them cross colors. And those that are just interested in the blue egg gene, aren't usually going to invest the extra money in purebred chickens.
I happen to breed ameraucanas. And you can cross some colors and still get pure colors. You can cross blue and black (also splash but aren't an accepted color). blue wheaten and wheaten (also splash wheaten but once again not yet accepted). Blue and black gives you more blue and black, which are still ameraucanas. It is pointless for me to sit here and list all the color crossing that give you accepted colors. So you can stick the breed standard breeding different colors to each other, in some cases. I am not going to get into the whole debate on unaccepted colors and if they should be called easter eggers or nonstandard ameraucanas. If someone has a non accepted color that they are calling an easter egger they likely know what they have and why they are calling it an easter egger instead of an ameraucana. I usually mention the unaccepted colors as color project and never call them one or the other on these threads, its too confusing for most new people and really is quite pointless unless they are very interested in the breed. Anyways both birds asked about in this thread are easter eggers, plain and simple.

I couldn't see how EE could be a breed also. I have several farm stores that want them because they are easy to sell. I raise them to pay my feed bill and any other chicken needs. My love is for my Orpingtons. I raise several colors and their temperament is wonderful, at least mine are.
They are easier sellers because everyone wants the "rare and unique" eggs.

I do believe your explanation of why you have and raise EE's is much the same as the rest of us who do the same ,,, easy to sell easy to hatch and great all around chickens
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom