EE or pure? Also...gender?

We aren't supposed to have roos around here, but many neighbors do, so I'm not that worried about keeping him. He (his name is Lily) gets picked on a bit by everyone else. We have a rosecomb rooster already, so as long as they get along, I'm sure that we'll keep Lily too.

When can I expect a crow?

Yup....a boy...SORRY! MY boy looked JUST like yours, I just had to sell him because we can't keep Roos here! And ALL of my chicks were from oullet bins, sexing is only 90-95% accurate, so if you get one or two here and there you increase your risk of getting boys....just how it is, I have sold 5 boys this year who were from pullet bins!

100% rooster. Looks a lot like one of mine...
48412_liesls_pics_913.jpg

Quote:
We get sky blue eggs from one of our EE girls so while it may be pure chance as to what color you get (in eggs), I don't think you have to have a pure ameraucana. Our other EE does olive. We got our EE from a breeder around here though they were marketed as ameraucana's.

How blue are your eggs?
I know if I breed an EE back to an AM I can get blue, but hatcheries usually don't do that. Some don't even get a pink egg. Also maybe yours are considered EEs because of color, not that I'm doubting you, but you may actually have an unrecognized color, so EE.
I want purple and rose colored eggs myself. LOL

I guess my question would be on the title? What do you mean EE or Pure? As far as I've been told and read Americaunas and Auracanas were "selectively bred" for different traits from the original EE line?!?! Was just my impression that EE's were always the originals, and the others were "refined products" much like the what was done with many dog breeds!
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Basically yes, though more like the other breeds were derived from EE/Quechua (original blue egger breed from South America). However, Ameraucanas and Araucanas - true bred - are pure bred, as we know their lineage and they can be reproduced for the same outcome time and time again. Easter Eggers are a mixed pot - all kinds of different traits and characteristics, mixed blood with other breeds, and you never know what you're gonna get (for the most part).

Learn something new every day.

I've never seen a blue egg from a hatchery bird.

EEs are usually mixed with either Araucanas or Ameraucanas. The color of the egg usually depends on what breed or breeds they used. I get some pink eggs, so the other breed nust have been a light brown or white layer.

I've tried to find the same breed I had years ago, like 30!

I used to be able to spell it the way it was spelled then, but I can't figure it out. LOL

The name was closer to Ameraucana, but they didn't lay plain blue eggs. They were swirled and rainbowed. I had a few hens that laid swirls of purple and gold and blue. Others were blue and green, blue and gold, just pretty eggs like the one you color for Easter.

I wanted chickens again only for that breed and have yet to find them except from a guy I used to live near in the Bay Area. He kept them under lock and key. Never sold them or hatching eggs and I begged for them. He'd bring eggs into my job to tease me with them. First time he brought them I shocked him when I said what they were and we must have talked chickens for hours.

I haven't seen him in 15 years. Just realized that, but man if I could find him and he still had them, I would too. Some how some way. I've asked around on this forum and someone directed me to a person here just before my husband died and now I have no idea who he was, but man do I want those birds again. And they were South American birds.

Back
Top Bottom