1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE pullet acting shocky

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BantyChooks, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Marek's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cocci

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Egg binding

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Injury

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Something else

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    awww I am sorry sweetie [​IMG]

2. BEEDiAMOND88777

BEEDiAMOND88777 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2015
    omg she dose look vary scared!!! try giving her warm water. which might help her to calm down. if she dosent drink try feeding her some bread. i know most people will think this wont help but i have a feeling. is she hot? that might be why shes breathing lots?

3. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Turtle Rock Poultry Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    I don't know if there's much I can do.... She is a bit warm, but not super hot. It's pretty cold right now, so not heatstroke.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  4. BEEDiAMOND88777

BEEDiAMOND88777 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2015
    you think shes having a hard time laying an egg?

5. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    Not really.... I felt her belly, and nothing.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you see if she will drink some water with electrolytes in it. Gatorade or Pedialyte will do in a pinch. Hold a small cup or bowl up to her beak--dip her beak into the water to get her to take a drink, and then she make drink some on her own. Get her warmed up, by bringing her inside, or setting up a heat lamp. But the water is most important to try first. She could just be very dehydrated, or have a vitamin deficiency, which can look neurological like Mareks. I would feel inside her vent an inch or so for a stuck egg, just in case. Riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency can cause the toes to curl under.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    Right now I'm just hoping for the best and waiting for morning @Eggcessive, It's too dark now to do much of anything. When I was last out I separated her and put her on a bed of shavings. I can't think straight right now, sorry if I missed any posts.

Edit: I don't have any electrolytes either. I'll get some tomorrow morning.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If she is still walking, has droopy wings and acts weak and drunk, she may have coccidia. If it is cold where you are, the cold will definitely cause a sick chicken to go into shock. She NEEDS to be in a warm place.

9. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This hen really does need to be in a warm place, 80-85 degrees is ideal. If she stays outside there is a very good chance the cold will kill her.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  10. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    Okay, I'll be going to get her then. Question, can any diseases from chickens be transmitted to dogs, rabbits or guinea pigs? I have those critters in my basement and don't want to get them sick. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by