EE pullet just out of it

wundernurse

Songster
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
Atlanta
I have a 17 week EE pullet acting strangely. She has always been kind of a sleepy girl even when she was a chick. She is always the first asleep at night and naps a bit more then the others. Now in addition to that for the last few days she has been wandering around pecking at things in slow motion and not really pecking at anything that is there. Like she will peck at the food, but be 4 inches too far to get anything. Her poop is runny, and she just seems out of it. Has anyone ever had a bird like this? She does not like to be handled. So when I caught her ad tried to get her to eat, she wouldn't. She is losing weight. No mites or lice that I have seen. Any hope for her??

I had an EE hatch out that I think is blind. Mine was always smaller than the others but pecks around like it can't see the food or anything else for that matter. It also doesn't like to be handled.
th.gif

Thanks for the quick reply. It almost seems like something neurologic. The other girls run around, and she just kind of stands there, and when she pecks it seems like it is out of habit or instinct, not that she is going for anything real. I guess the only good thing is that she does not seem to be in any pain, but I think she might starve to death. She is consuming very little. What should I do for her??

She wasn't always like this, just in the last 4-5 days. The only thing I have noticed with her from the very beginning is that she falls asleep fast and more often then the others. Could she have just lost her sight?

Last edited:
describe the droppings...color and consistency
check the vent, make sure it is clear.

what bedding do you use?
check the crop for lump or grainy feeling..

do you have chick vitamins? if so..make some up and give by drops on beak..or...
you can use Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins
..Enfamil brand if possible...no iron..
give 3 drops on beak once a day for 2 days..
then 2 drops for 3 days..
1 drop for 5 days.

try and get some baby bird feed (Kaytee, I think is the brand) found at pet/bird stores.
otherwise..mix some cooked egg yolk with chick feed and a bit of water or plain yogurt, or buttermilk to moisten.
or very soft scrambled egg made with a dab plain yogurt or buttermilk.
hand feed the chick by dabs at tip of mouth...stroke the neck downwards.
keep hydrated by giving water drops on beak.
keep warm.

a very teeny bit of cod liver oil..or ADE powder..
could be a vitamin deficiency effecting the eyesight.

Back
Top Bottom