EE Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by brodysam, Jun 11, 2009.

1. brodysam

brodysam Songster

May 7, 2009
    I have one ameraucana chick. I don't know if its male/female yet.

However, if its a cockerel, does that mean that the offspring would be EEs, as long as the hen is not an ameraucana?

If its a hen, same question in relation to a buff orpington cockerel.

I'm not completely sure what makes an EE. All is understand is it is a mix that lays colored eggs.

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    As long as the offspring lay colored eggs they would be considered EEs.

3. brodysam

brodysam Songster

May 7, 2009
    Got it, thanks!

What are the chances of colored eggs? Sorry, this is new to me.

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I'm not exactly sure how that works...I would say 50% if one parent is a true Ameraucana, but don't take my word for it.

5. whatthecluck

whatthecluck Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    Well I was just asking about similar things too and if I understand correctly if he is pure then he has the O gene which is the gene that is the blue/green egg gene. So then if you bred to an EE hen that laid blue/green you would be getting more blue/green, if you bred with browns you get shades of olive and if you bred to an olive layer the eggs would get more blue/green?
    Is this so? I am now thinking about getting rid of my 3 questionable roos and just getting an Ameraucana roo for this reason in the future I want blue/green and olive layers depending on which hens I mate them too.
    I will be watching this [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: