1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kelidei, Oct 12, 2011.

1. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I know ... or at least I've read that EE are basically your mutt chicken. That the main goal is to get blue to green colored eggs. Is there anything else they must have to be called EEs? I got some from a hatchery that had no muffs but they did have green/slate legs and laid blue eggs. I have some of my own crosses (EE mom with BO dad) that have the muffs but the more whitish BO legs but they have beautiful coloring (Gold, rust and yellow with a slately blue color)
    This is the hen
    [​IMG]

and this is the Roo
    [​IMG]

The hen lays beautiful green/bue egg

Now I have some second generation from the offspring of the original crosses that just have some stunning colors and feather patterns. I hatched four eggs and got two pullets and two cockerels... there is a blue pair and a gold pair. All very young still but their adult feathers our starting to come in and the patterns look amazing... I have one cockerel that is mainly blue but he has cream colored spangles in his hackle and wing feathers...hard to tell with the saddle feathers yet... the blues have slate legs.... neither of the of the pullets are old enough to lay yet so I don't know about the eggs but all the other crosses have produced colored eggs. The first "daughter" of the hen in the pic above is the reverse of her mom--- gold feathers with blue lacing...she lays a beautiful olive green egg. My question is can I call these easter eggers or do they have to be a certain type of cross to be truly an easter egger?

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Good question! I don't know but they are gorgeous! [​IMG]

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Let's see pictures of the second generation chicks.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They'd still be Easter Eggers. There's NO standard for an Easter Egger, no criteria, except that it has parents that carry at least one gene for the blue egg. And if you really want to be picky, the bird itself must carry at least one blue gene, thus, it must lay green, olive green, blue, sky blue, mint green, etc color of egg. If a male I'd say it just needs to have said parentage. Single combed sports some people call EE's some don't.

5. kelidei

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Let's see pictures of the second generation chicks.

Here are two of the pullets

[​IMG]

here is a third pullet

[​IMG]

Now the boys

Here is the gold/rust cockerel

[​IMG]

another close up

[​IMG]

the gold cockerel and pullet together

[​IMG]

The blue cockerel

[​IMG]

another angle

[​IMG]

and a close up of the spangles on his hackle feathers

[​IMG]

Finally the blue cockerel and pullet together

[​IMG]

It is so had to capture the blue cockerel and his spangles ... they glitter like he has gold dust sprinkled on him...

[​IMG]

I am beginning to see the same in the pullets hackle feathers... but not as intense​

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  6. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Thank you, They are beautiful, especially the red ones. I'm producing blues from my Blue/Red boy and some of my hens, I think that they came out of the Wheaten slpash hens.

7. kelidei

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:I love the combination of the golds, reds and blues.... My first cockerel cross is stunning in sunlight... he has every color from pale lemon yellow to deep red... His name is Red... The first pullet cross I think was an EE with a Gold laced wyandotte roo I had... that is where the lacing came from.... not sure where I got the golden cream spangles from [​IMG] but I would love to get more of them... anyone know where I should start??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by