1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE roo/hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pecknscratch, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Pecknscratch

Pecknscratch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    I received these two "hens" about a month ago. At the time they were the same size as my bantams, they are just a little bit bigger now.
    In that time Peaches has grown a comb and "her" tail feathers stand up quite nicely like my little bantam roosters' do.
    The RIR cockerel I have goes after both of them, but I'm not sure if he's displaying dominance or mating.

[​IMG]

It appears that Cheeks is also starting to grow a comb
    [​IMG]

I looked on the EE board and did find a couple of pics of hens with combs, so this gives me some hope, but I thought I'd ask the experts here.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    1st one looks like a roo.

Can't tell the second one but I'd guess pullet... what talk about lots of EE traits of both Ameraucana & Araunca!

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    How old are they? I am going to say they are both girls, but the first could be a boy.

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    How old are they?

5. Pecknscratch

Oct 13, 2010
    I'm sorry I don't know how old they are. They were given to a lady friend of mine and she then gave them to me.
    I hoped perhaps someone would be able to give me an approximate age for them.
    Here is the only other clear pic I could get of #2 Cheeks

[​IMG]

Luckily if Peaches turns out to be a roo I know of someone who is quite happy to trade him for one of her hens.
    Apparently we have roo fever around here. My RIR roo was believed to be a hen. As were the two bantam roos I now have to give away. (no wonder I was only getting two eggs...half of my hens were roos!)

6. Pecknscratch

Oct 13, 2010
    let's try this again...

[​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    1st pic is a roo.

The pic posted in the post just above this one is a hen.

8. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:I agree. There are definite saddle feathers showing on #1.

9. Pecknscratch

Oct 13, 2010
    Thanks everyone for your kind responses.
    I was afraid of that, but fortunately I have a good place to swap him with. Maybe I'll get two for him... javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by