EE Roo too?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Carpe DiHen, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    My 10 week old speckled sussex "pullet" crowed this morning, and now I'm worried about my 10 week old EE too! Not the best picture of her face, but does she look Rooish? She has not crowed.

[​IMG]

Edited to add close up of comb and back feathers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    [​IMG] I will just say one thing, though EE's are HARD, my 12 week old pullet has a near nonexistant comb, and definately NOT that red... I vote roo.. But like I said EE's are hard, but that comb, whew! Hopefully somebody else will chime in with better news lol.

This is my 12 week old EE pullet I am comparing to, not the best pic but good to show her current comb.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  3. anniem

anniem Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    My EE pullet looks just like Morgans, barely a comb at 14 or so weeks. Between the comb and those long, curling tail feathers I'd say you have another roo. My EE roo (supposed to be a pullet of course [​IMG]) is about 14 weeks and hasn't crowed yet--hasn't acted like a roo at all really.
    As a side note, one of my SS turned out to be a roo. I got a few more chicks when I realized my EE was going roo, really wanted some SS and ended up with 1 pullet and 1 roo. [​IMG] Bad luck with the ladies!

4. LaSombra

LaSombra Songster

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    sorry to say, but before I read your post, I saw the pic and was commenting to my mom, "see, look at that one, it's a boy. Just look at the look in his eye. He's staring you down." He also has the big comb and boy stance. Very beautiful guy, though... [​IMG]

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    A rooster - definitely. Look at those tail feathers!

6. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Songster

Jul 3, 2009
    I'm afraid I have to agree--I think it's a roo. I'm sorry to say it as I have one exactly like yours. White EE very beautiful with a comb exactly like that. He is 11 weeks tomorrow. I heard him crow one time. It was just (bad) luck that I was in there at the time as I have never heard him do it again. The other roo grabbed him by the neck today and carted him around the coop. He comes and sits on my lap every day. I'm hoping that one time in a million a hen will crow..................Hey, it's happened before! Still don't know what to do with the red comb though.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have to agree that he is a boy, but what a beautiful boy he is! [​IMG]

8. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    What a pretty boy! [​IMG]

9. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    I'm convinced... [​IMG] My speckled sussex is looking rooish too... I only have 6 chickens and I can't have two roos. I was thinking of getting rid of this EE "Ducky" and keeeping the sussex roo since they are so magnificent. Then, last night, Ducky jumped on my lap, stretched out on his side with his neck fully stretched out... and literally purred "chirrr...chirrr...chirrr" while I stroked his side. Then I grabbed his foot with the two (ugle) curled toes and he gripped back like he was holding my hand..[​IMG]

I think my SS whould have a better chance of finding a home than a while EE with a mutated foot. I love them both [​IMG]

What to doo [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Ohhhhhhh, that just melted MY heart! And he's so beautifully handsome. Keep the EE roo.

My EE roo is gorgeous, but he's multi-colored.
    [​IMG]

I have wanted a white EE pullet ever since I saw some here on BYC. The white EE chick I purchased is turning into a really pretty pullet with golden head and shoulders and a very light dove grey body and tail. As soon as the brooder chicks go outside, I'll get pictures of them all, but that EE pullet - while not turning out white - is really, really pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by