EE Roos or Hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mj_n_peeps, Aug 5, 2011.

1. mj_n_peeps

mj_n_peeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    Upper Montgomery County
    11 weeks ago I hatched some EE chicks. One started to crow a few weeks ago so I sent him on his way along with a playmate. I have these two left, both green legged. I'd love to keep the cream colored one, but only if I can identify it's a SHE and not a HE. Can any one shed some light on them?

My gut tells me roos, becuase of they way the stand, hold their tails and there is no evidence of saddle feathers. And the cream one's pea comb is already pink.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.....

Chick #1
    [​IMG]

Chick #2
    [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Both look like hens to me! [​IMG]

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I think they're both girls. [​IMG]

4. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Both pullets. Sometimes white and lighter colored pullets have pinker combs. As well, EEs can carry their tails any which way, I've found. Only saddle feathers and hackle feathers really determine gender with most EEs (aside from the peacomb, that is).

5. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I agree with the above...they both look like girls to me. [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Both girls. I don't think I've seen a solid white ee roo, they usually have splashes of color. And the brown one is a girl.

7. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    We have three EE's and a black Ameruacana, and based on that I'd say both your birds in the pics look like pullets. The tail feathers on the second one make me a little nervous, being curved and looking (in that pic at least) a little pointed. But I'd still say pullet. Our last batch of EE's we got four ROOs and they all had really curved tail feathers and all were crowing around 12 weeks.

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Girls [​IMG] Girls [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I'm 100% certain those are both pullets! The white one has a definite pullet tail, the second one has pullet coloring (not shiny, solid patches) and a very girly comb.

10. mj_n_peeps

mj_n_peeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    Upper Montgomery County
    Thank you all so much for your responses! I'm very much relieved to get such a strong confirmation of pullet vrs roo! With that they will stay on as part of my chicken family!! And with the greenish legs I may just get something other than brown eggs... fingers crossed!

Thank you again!!!

MJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by