EE Rooster & Bantam Cochin Hen

I have bantam Cochin eggs in my incubator now. Fertilized by my black copper Marans. They are on day 12 now and are developing just like the rest of my eggs. I’m not sure what to except on chickens size. I’ve read that they can be bantams, large fowl and everything in between. She’s since gone broody and is sitting on 4 eggs, 2 of which are BCM.

What would happen with this cross? The EE Rooster has been with our bantam cochins for a while and we have been getting fertilized eggs. Can I hatch them? Just curious what the cross may be or how it would work with the small eggs.
You might want to move this to the genetics forum.
I don't know, some awesome babies I bet!
I'll tag @NatJ and @MysteryChicken for you though. They should be able to help.

What would happen with this cross? The EE Rooster has been with our bantam cochins for a while and we have been getting fertilized eggs. Can I hatch them? Just curious what the cross may be or how it would work with the small eggs.
Yes, you can hatch them.

What color is your EE rooster, & Cochin Bantams?

Yes, you can hatch them.

What color is your EE rooster, & Cochin Bantams?

Our EE rooster is hard to describe lol I’ll post a pic. Our bantam is golden.

The pic quality stinks but I think you can tell enough. They’re uncooperative for pics so I don’t get many lol. Attached the hen pic as well.

Attachments

• F4A1961C-47E5-4291-8DB0-676DB7FF1124.jpeg
    F4A1961C-47E5-4291-8DB0-676DB7FF1124.jpeg
    785.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 3AE85A5C-9F1F-4EAA-9AE4-51871B47FB36.jpeg
    3AE85A5C-9F1F-4EAA-9AE4-51871B47FB36.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 5
Our EE rooster is hard to describe lol I’ll post a pic. Our bantam is golden.

The pic quality stinks but I think you can tell enough. They’re uncooperative for pics so I don’t get many lol. Attached the hen pic as well.
I see two Silver Duckwing EEs Roosters.

Your Cochin is Buff.

Males are S/s+, or Gold split to silver.

Females will be silver.

They're sort of sex linked.
Screenshot_20210112-195559_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210112-195611_Chrome.jpg

Yes, you can hatch the eggs. All breeds of chickens can cross with each other with no problems (well, other than problems with whether one is the wrong size to actually mate with the other--if your eggs are fertile, then your chickens clearly have managed just fine.)

The chicks will be small when they hatch, because the eggs are small.

After they hatch, the chicks will grow up to whatever size their mix of genes calls for. That might be big chicken size, or bantam size, or somewhere in between.

Females among those chicks may lay green eggs, or may lay brown eggs. They might all lay the same color of eggs, or there may be some that lay one color and some that lay the other color.

Chicks will probably grow up to have pea combs like their father, although there might be some with single combs like their mother.

Chicks will probably have feathered feet like their mother.

Some chicks should have a beard like their father, and they might all have it.

I see the hen is a pretty gold color.
I'm having trouble telling color in the rooster photo.
I see black, but I'm not sure if I also see white or a light gold color or both.

Whatever colors the rooster has, his chicks are likely to have mostly the same colors when they grow up. Those colors may be arranged differently on each chicken--some might have more or less of the black, and it might be in different places.

Yes, you can hatch the eggs. All breeds of chickens can cross with each other with no problems (well, other than problems with whether one is the wrong size to actually mate with the other--if your eggs are fertile, then your chickens clearly have managed just fine.)

The chicks will be small when they hatch, because the eggs are small.

After they hatch, the chicks will grow up to whatever size their mix of genes calls for. That might be big chicken size, or bantam size, or somewhere in between.

Females among those chicks may lay green eggs, or may lay brown eggs. They might all lay the same color of eggs, or there may be some that lay one color and some that lay the other color.

Chicks will probably grow up to have pea combs like their father, although there might be some with single combs like their mother.

Chicks will probably have feathered feet like their mother.

Some chicks should have a beard like their father, and they might all have it.

I see the hen is a pretty gold color.
I'm having trouble telling color in the rooster photo.
I see black, but I'm not sure if I also see white or a light gold color or both.

Whatever colors the rooster has, his chicks are likely to have mostly the same colors when they grow up. Those colors may be arranged differently on each chicken--some might have more or less of the black, and it might be in different places.

So much good information! Thank you so much! Yes, the roosters have both gold and white. We just may give this a try. 😁 My son and the hen are bffs so he’s really wanting to have little Stein babies. (He’s 9) I was just concerned about the egg size mostly and then if there were issues in cross breeding bantams and standards. Now that we know there’s no issue there, we will probably give it a try! Thanks again 😁

Back
Top Bottom