EE vs Americauna

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joe17, Jun 23, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    What are the differences of an EE and an Americauna?? I know EE's are mutts and Americaunas are pure bred. I have never actually seen an Americauna. I was just curious because I see a lot of people on here that think they have an Americauna.

2. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
  3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Amer i cana is a EE Easter Egger.
    Amer au cana is the recognized breed.

EE Easter Egger as described by the The Ameraucana Breeders Club...
    The Ameraucana Breeders Club defines an Easter Egg chicken or Easter Egger as any chicken that possesses the blue egg gene, but doesn’t fully meet any breed descriptions as defined in the APA and/or ABA standards. Further, even if a bird meets an Ameraucana standard breed description, but doesn’t meet a variety description or breed true at least 50% of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken.

http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html#TWO

IMO -
    A EE Easter Egger (hens) should lay Blue or Green eggs. (White and Brown egg layers shouldn't be considered a EE and should be considered more or less a cross breed or a Rainbow layer)...

I think you will find that the term EE or Easter Egger is way over used. Most of the birds I see being called EE's are little more than cross bred chickens that most likely don't carry the Blue or Green egg gene...

Chris

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  4. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    i have also heard that EE's can lay some yellow colored eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by