EE with a limp - advice?

Dawnclucks22

Crowing
May 28, 2017
Naboo
Yesterday chicken math happened and now we have a brand new EE named Peaches. However, I noticed that when she walks she seems to be limping and is more obvious when she runs. I picked her up to check her feet and there was a small scab sort of thing, although I doubt it has anything to do with the problem as it is on top. There was no bumblefoot, which I have treated before. A few of the “scales” in her ankle area seemed to be oddly raised, however. I also noticed a few of her nails seemed to be overgrown so I filed them down to a normal length.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
EE, about 1-2 years old. Seems to be of a normal weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She limps when she walks but otherwise seems fine, walking around and responding to stimuli.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Since we got her yesterday.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Nope
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
The “scales” near her ankles seem rather raised. I filed some overgrown nails.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Maybe the car ride on the way home? Although this has never happened before.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Organic chicken feed and water. I haven’t seen her drink but her water is not as full and I have gotten her to eat out of my hand.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
I only saw her poop in person once and it was slightly runny but with the regular solid stuff in the middle.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Only filing down her nails.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I don’t think it is that serious of a problem, but I will need to treat it myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Currently not home but will post a short video/gif if I can.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
I haven’t tried to integrate her in to the flock because of her limp, and during the day she has been on the patio. It is mostly concrete but there is a small area of dirt that she likes to hang out in on one end of it and on the back edge. She sleeps in an old rabbit cage in the garage with straw bedding. She has not laid yet.

Sorry about such a long post, I wanted to get as many details as possible. Thank you for all the help.

I picked her up to check her feet and there was a small scab sort of thing, although I doubt it has anything to do with the problem as it is on top.
A few of the “scales” in her ankle area seemed to be oddly raised, however. I also noticed a few of her nails seemed to be overgrown so I filed them down to a normal length.
I haven’t tried to integrate her in to the flock because of her limp, and during the day she has been on the patio. It is mostly concrete but there is a small area of dirt that she likes to hang out in on one end of it and on the back edge. She sleeps in an old rabbit cage in the garage with straw bedding. She has not laid yet.

Can you post some photos of the scab on top of the foot along with the raised scales (a photo of her too:))

From your description - the raised scales sound like Scaly Leg Mites. Gently wash the legs and feet in warm soapy water, dry, then apply your ointment/oil of choice (coconut oil, castor oil, A+D ointment, etc.) this will smother the SLM. You need to repeat this until new scales emerge and her legs are nice and smooth.

While you have her up, examine her for lice and mites. Getting a fecal float to check for worms is always a good idea too.

The scabbing on top of the foot could be from SLM, but it's very possible to have Bumblefoot on top of the foot - it's a staph infection that has entered the foot through a cut/scrape, etc.

It's good that you are keeping her separated from your flock at this time - observing a quarantine period is best when getting adult chickens, this way you can address any illness or parasites that may spread to your existing flock.

UPDATE: I know it's sort of been awhile, but here I am!
I've sorted decided that it is SLM. I've been applying Vaseline jelly every night before she goes to sleep and I've just bathed her legs with warm soapy water and then applied the jelly. Upon closer inspection it seems that the leg giving her trouble's foot is rubbed raw and there are almost no scales on it! Anyone know something that may help?

UPDATE: I know it's sort of been awhile, but here I am!
I've sorted decided that it is SLM. I've been applying Vaseline jelly every night before she goes to sleep and I've just bathed her legs with warm soapy water and then applied the jelly. Upon closer inspection it seems that the leg giving her trouble's foot is rubbed raw and there are almost no scales on it! Anyone know something that may help?
Can you post some photos - legs, feet and bottom of feet:)

Back
Top Bottom