EE with oddly dark face

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I recently went to help a friend of mine prepare her area for some ducklings I'm going to be giving her. She also renelty adopted 3 new EE's from someone off of Craigslist. They weren't what she expected, they were very over mated with tons of missing feathers on their backs. Their living quarters were good, and everything else looked fine, so she decided to take them and get them in better shape, they're free hens after all. :)
Anyway, point is. We checked them over again when I got there, mostly looking fo mites and lice from the obtuse amount of missing feathers. We didn't find anything, but I did notice that one of the EE's had a very dark face and comb. We grabbed her and she seemed fine. The feathers on her back were fully grown back, and she acted normal. She also had dark legs as well, so I'm wondering if its just a cross thing? I know that EE's are Ameruacana crossed with any other breed of chicken, so I'm wondering if she's just a weird cross, or if this is something we need to be concern about.
I'm having her send me a photo, at latest I'm going back down tomorrow and can get a pic then. I know this post is pretty useless with out pictures haha, but, any thoughts or experience with darker faced EE's is welcome. Thanks guys!

A photo will be very helpful but there is a genetic thing that I’m pretty sure is called Gypsy face, where it causes the face to be darker. It’s just a cosmetic thing. I would post a pic just in case though.

A photo will be very helpful but there is a genetic thing that I’m pretty sure is called Gypsy face, where it causes the face to be darker. It’s just a cosmetic thing. I would post a pic just in case though.
Interesting, thats good info. I'll upload a pic as soon as I can. I imagine its pretty difficult to give any sure ideas without one. ;)

Back
Top Bottom