EE won’t stop laying shell-less eggs

The food she has contains oyster shell but you still think I should give her extra? Do you mean hand feed it to her daily or provide it in a dish?
Yes. If they're laying soft shell eggs, they're not getting the right amount of calcium to make the shell so, if she can eat as much as she wants/needs, that should fix your problem.

I would personally give her another dish.
Then it's optional to her, and not 'forced'.

If you give a calcium citrate with vitamin d tablet every day for a week, and do not see any improvement in the shells, then there may be a problem in her oviduct with the shell gland, or she might have salpingitis. I did have a hen get chased and injured once. She was the best layer daily of a large egg. After the injury, she molted from stress, and when she eventually started laying again, they were all shell-less or thin-shelled. Is she getting a layer type feed?

She is getting layer feed. She hasn’t layed any lash eggs yet but I know that doesn’t rule it out completely. This did start when she was molting but I can’t think of any stress that would cause it.

My flock had infectious bronchitis virus which went through the flock one year. It mostly caused just sneezing, but later some of the hens had reproductive disorders and all sorts of abnormal egg shells. Some were thin on one end, some soft all over, wrinkled, flat sided, rings around the middle, etc. Here is a good link to read about the various causes of abnormal eggs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Back
Top Bottom