EE x Black Cochin

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ellie, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    This is the new chick from an easter egger dad who was all white with a little rust on the wings and an all black large cochin mom. This is my first mom who has done the sitting and hatching of her very own egg. I usually get hatching eggs for my broody mamas but have my very own rooster this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited for correction in title.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    OMG how cute. Does she have feathered feet? Im not seeing any.

3. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Amazingly, no feathers on the feet. Now this was taken when the chick was one day old, but still... Papa must have had some pretty strong genes. He was an easter egger but nearly all white!

Here is Daddy.

[​IMG]

4. SilkieGirl

SilkieGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Morristown
    Cuteness! That will be one awesome bird.

5. I have 10 fully grown chickens now but there father was br/ee but still the ee geins are very very strong in the chicks.

6. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Boy howdy, you are right, the ee really is dominant. Silkie, I sure hope so.

Here is mom.... you'd never know it by looking at the chick.

[​IMG]

7. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Half the fun of hatching EEs or crosses is seeing what they wiill turn out to look like. The diversity is chicks I get from my EEs crossed with mmy Mille Fleur D'Uccle is amazing. The other half of the fun (for me) is tryingg to guess the Mama.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

All the possible mamas have feathered legs, I think, don't they, Ellie? Is there any possibility you could have confused Lilly's egg for a Cochin egg? Hers is brown right? Lilly is 1/2 Delaware and 1/2 BR x blue Ameraucana, for those who don't know. That could explain the clean legs, but even Cochin crosses sometimes have clean legs. I had three hens whose sire was a Cochin/Silkie cross with BR mamas-they were all clean legged except that one had one feather stub on one foot.

Oh, when you write a cross, you write the sire first, Ellie, so you would say EE x black Cochin. Just an FYI. In genetics, sometimes, it makes a difference who was the sire and who was the mom, sometimes it doesn't.

9. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Thanks for the genetics lesson, Cyn!! Oh, this is going to be such fun. No, the only eggs under that girl were 6 of Lacey's and two green ones. This egg was pure brown and small like a cochin. Pretty sure she laid it herself. [​IMG]

This has to be the quietest chick I've ever had. It is cold this morning and they are already out and foraging. It is large too. Like I said, having my own rooster is going to be a blast.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, like I said, even if its mama was a Cochin, clean legs are not unusual at all. It's a cutie-pie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by