EEEEK! DROWNING in STRAWBERRIES! NEED RECIPE HELP!!

We have this problem with blackberries - every year we pick 80 to 100 lbs of them (without leaving the backyard). Anyway, one thing we do with them is to blend them, and then can them. Then all year we can open up a jar of the canned berries and put them in an ice cube tray and freeze them. These cubes are then used to make fruit / protein smoothies.

This way we have blackberry smoothies all year long. Yum.

Quote:
Do you add any sugar or cook them at all?

Or just wash, stem, blend put into sterile jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes?

This sounds good, because then I would have the base for many recipes, right there in a jar.

Thanks!

Cut them up, spread them on a cookie sheet (put them on wax paper or something if you just rinsed them) freeze them, then put them in a bag.

You can also dry them the same way- cut them up, maybe mix them with some sugar in a bowl until its disolved. Spread them out on a cookie sheet (or if you have a lot just take your oven rack and cover it in foil- poke holes in it with a knife or fork all over) put them in the oven on the lowest possible setting (180-200) and roll a towl and stick it in the over door so it doesnt close all the way. Leave them a couple hours or so. They'll be crisp- or rubbery when theyre done. The dryer the better, but dont ruin them or burn them.

Store them in bags in the freezer, use them on ice cream, cearal, or in baking or pancakes.

Dont cook or blanch fruit before freezing. They'll be nothing but moosh.

Last edited by a moderator:
i do the same as Amosunknown, but seriously the easiest thing to do is just pack them up in a box and overnight them to me.
big_smile.png

Amos, you changed you avatar, I almost didn't recognize you!

Sorry guys, but there are about 5 people ahead of you!
lau.gif

I am going to spend the rest of the day working on these red devils, and I'll let you know what happens! Have to get moving, the chicken will want the tops!

Come on down! Oh wait....this is a plot, isn't it? Ya'll want to get here after all the work is done!!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom