Eeek. Coyotes over here too.

applecore

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 2, 2013
I went to shut chickies in tonight and found a trail of feathers and one lone hen. She was bitten in the chest and it was through the skin. We tried liquid bandage but it wasn't holding together so we threw a couple of stitches in and wrapped her up tightly. She's resting in a crate in the living room ... what else do I do now? Antibiotics first thing tomorrow? She's only about 20 weeks old, if that.

We found most of the rest of the hens hiding in the flower beds around the house. Three are still missing. I'm kicking myself, our golden retriever was barking his head off earlier in the day. I saw all of the chickens together after that, but still. He NEVER barks.

Take one of the stitches back out so the wound can drain and heal from inside. It's rarely necessary to do more than clean with saline or mild soapy water and use some Neosporin, even with pretty large wounds, as long as they aren't injured internally.

Sounds good - it was a pretty deep puncture and I kind of panicked. There wasn't a lot of bleeding at all. She's still not up on her feet though :(

Back
Top Bottom