Hen limping, not producing over a month+

Kevinjm4

Hatching
May 14, 2022
Hi, wondering if I can get some help.

We have a hen who for about a month plus now has not been producing eggs at all. She’s 2yrs, barred rock. and has produced eggs fine in the past. I’ll list symptoms/things I’m noticing.

-The other hens (we have 12) don’t seem to pick on her or notice her anymore than any other hen, except one of our hens who for a while early on in this issue would follow her around and block her path. That seems to have since stopped. No aggressive behavior towards her at all.

- limping, stumbling around, has to flap wings to get up ladder to coop. Cant walk very far at once. Does come out and free range every day just doesn’t move around a whole lot.

- Won’t roost at night sleeps in a corner of the coop, goes in earlier than rest of hens for bed. I think this has gotten better the previous two weeks, but previously she was very lethargic and took lots of “naps” in the middle of the field throughout the day.

-Tail feathers form a triangle shape and are lowered and her wings not kept tight to her body. Looks healthy other than that. Waffled(?) weight/size seem normal. Eating layer crumble, drinking water fine.

-she seems normally alert, makes normal sounds, poop seems relatively normal.

-we checked her vent best we know how and didn’t notice anything abnormal or any egg inside or remnants of egg.

-other chickens not showing any ill symptoms.

We gave her warm epsom salt baths early on in this but couldn’t keep up with it. We gave her 1-2 a day for about 4 days.

Some things that may be relevant to add to her symptoms is she survived a weasel (we think) attack last year, where we did lose one hen. Blood was drawn but she survived and bounced back shortly after. She also got locked out on accident one night as I didn’t notice her still being out at sundown when I closed them in - this hasn’t ever happened to any of our hens, and that was about 3 months ago.
We also introduced 4 new pullets 6 weeks ago.

The photo attached is from today and she is in a dog crate. Last night was the first night we separated her for bed time under a heat lamp, leaving it on all night. We’re trying this now at the advice of the feed store owner based on symptoms I described to him. We will put her in with the other hens during the day. Put a few drops of oxytetracyline in her water for the first time in the dog crate, again advice from feed store owner. That’s our plan moving forward for another week or two unless we get different advice. But we’re not going to keep her much longer at this rate.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 74978909-905E-49D5-87D9-DEF68A410021.jpeg
    74978909-905E-49D5-87D9-DEF68A410021.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 4
Hi, wondering if I can get some help.

We have a hen who for about a month plus now has not been producing eggs at all. She’s 2yrs, barred rock. and has produced eggs fine in the past. I’ll list symptoms/things I’m noticing.

-The other hens (we have 12) don’t seem to pick on her or notice her anymore than any other hen, except one of our hens who for a while early on in this issue would follow her around and block her path. That seems to have since stopped. No aggressive behavior towards her at all.

- limping, stumbling around, has to flap wings to get up ladder to coop. Cant walk very far at once. Does come out and free range every day just doesn’t move around a whole lot.

- Won’t roost at night sleeps in a corner of the coop, goes in earlier than rest of hens for bed. I think this has gotten better the previous two weeks, but previously she was very lethargic and took lots of “naps” in the middle of the field throughout the day.

-Tail feathers form a triangle shape and are lowered and her wings not kept tight to her body. Looks healthy other than that. Waffled(?) weight/size seem normal. Eating layer crumble, drinking water fine.

-she seems normally alert, makes normal sounds, poop seems relatively normal.

-we checked her vent best we know how and didn’t notice anything abnormal or any egg inside or remnants of egg.

-other chickens not showing any ill symptoms.

We gave her warm epsom salt baths early on in this but couldn’t keep up with it. We gave her 1-2 a day for about 4 days.

Some things that may be relevant to add to her symptoms is she survived a weasel (we think) attack last year, where we did lose one hen. Blood was drawn but she survived and bounced back shortly after. She also got locked out on accident one night as I didn’t notice her still being out at sundown when I closed them in - this hasn’t ever happened to any of our hens, and that was about 3 months ago.
We also introduced 4 new pullets 6 weeks ago.

The photo attached is from today and she is in a dog crate. Last night was the first night we separated her for bed time under a heat lamp, leaving it on all night. We’re trying this now at the advice of the feed store owner based on symptoms I described to him. We will put her in with the other hens during the day. Put a few drops of oxytetracyline in her water for the first time in the dog crate, again advice from feed store owner. That’s our plan moving forward for another week or two unless we get different advice. But we’re not going to keep her much longer at this rate.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks
What do her droppings look like?
Is there any yellow/whitish icky on her vent/feathers?
Have you checked her for mites? Anemia can cause lethargy and balance issues that can be misconstrued as limping sometimes.

Have you checked her for mites? Anemia can cause lethargy and balance issues that can be misconstrued as limping sometimes.
Droppings seem to be lacking the white part. Haven’t kept a close eye on that but we found a large dark brown dropping in the nexting box where she sometimes hangs out. Likely wasn’t any other hen. She also JUST laid an egg in the crate. A perfect egg. Not sure what to make of this as we actually were never certain she wasn’t laying, just assumed as much. We just never got a day with max amount of eggs so we assumed she wasn’t because every 3 or 4 days we’ll get all 8 hens to lay. But not since her issue. Not sure if this new revelation changes things...

I was going to suggest that she might have a reproductive disorder, such as salpingitis where they lay internally, and sometimes pass lash egg material. Maybe she was just getting ready to start back laying again. Hard to know. Is she eating and drinking? Do you use layer feed and have crushed oyster shell in a separate container for extra calcium? If she continues to be ill, and you want to treat for a reproductive disorder, you could try amoxicillin (Aqua Mox) ordered online 250 mg twice a day for 10 days. Let us know how she gets along.

I was going to suggest that she might have a reproductive disorder, such as salpingitis where they lay internally, and sometimes pass lash egg material. Maybe she was just getting ready to start back laying again. Hard to know. Is she eating and drinking? Do you use layer feed and have crushed oyster shell in a separate container for extra calcium? If she continues to be ill, and you want to treat for a reproductive disorder, you could try amoxicillin (Aqua Mox) ordered online 250 mg twice a day for 10 days. Let us know how she gets along.
I was thinking salpingitis possibly as well.

Droppings seem to be lacking the white part. Haven’t kept a close eye on that but we found a large dark brown dropping in the nexting box where she sometimes hangs out. Likely wasn’t any other hen. She also JUST laid an egg in the crate. A perfect egg. Not sure what to make of this as we actually were never certain she wasn’t laying, just assumed as much. We just never got a day with max amount of eggs so we assumed she wasn’t because every 3 or 4 days we’ll get all 8 hens to lay. But not since her issue. Not sure if this new revelation changes things...
That’s good. I would check her for mites. Anemia can cause these types of symptoms if it gets bad.
Is she moving any better after laying?

Back
Top Bottom