Urgent Mystery Chicken Disease

Goannie

Hatching
Jan 9, 2024
Hi all, I have a 5 month old Silkie Hen (Her name is Gertie). She has suddenly become really ill this afternoon and I am not sure how to help her. Here are a list of her symptoms:
- White watery poop along with poop that is slightly green
- Floppy body
- Lethargy
- Not eating or drinking
- Weight loss (We have not had Gertie for very long and she didn't come from a very loving home previously so we do not pick her up very often. When she let me pick her up today I noticed that she was quite a bit skinnier then the last time I held her)
- Deep heavy breathing

Please any help would be appreciated, Thank you.

Can you get her drinking some water with electrolytes or a spoonful of sugar? Hold it right up to her beak. Offer some scrambled bits of egg and some watery chicken feed, once she drinks. If you have just gotten her, she could have coccidiosis or another illness. Could she have been hurt by others, or have eaten moldy feed or something poisonous? Get her propped up with some towels or rags, and try to feed her. Poop pictures can be helpful. Corid from the feed store can help treat coccidiosis. Dosage is 1/2 tsp of the liquid to 1 quart of water for 5-7 days. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would consider worming her as well. That is something that can come on suddenly, and affects birds her age.

Back
Top Bottom