Disease going around in my flock? PLEASE HELP!

Thanks again!! I really hope one day there is a vaccine.

Do you think I should keep my girls that aren’t showing any symptoms, deep clean the coop and introduce new vaccinated chicks when they’re old enough? Or should I cull my 2 remaining girls and start over?
The Vet that I talked to at the University of Missouri at Columbia advised me not to cull. As I said, the survivors are truly resistant and the birds that you should breed for resistant chicks.

In my article I talked about my experience hatching chicks from eggs that I bought from an Amish farm about two miles from our farm and the chicks being resistant to Marek's Disease. I still have hens and some of the bantam crossed roosters from those hatchings and they are at least 7 years old at this point. I suspect that area local birds have built up a natural resistance to whatever Marke's disease is floating around.

I also brought in vaccinated bantams that are doing very well and working on their 4th generation.

What I would suggest looking into are adding genetically resistant birds to your flock. I went with Egyptian Fayoumis and currently have 6 hens and 3 roosters. I had the first birds that I bought from Murray McMurray hatchery vaccinated. I've lost a couple, one to parasite load and one to possible botulism but they are in their second generation now and doing well otherwise.

I think there are White Leghorns that are resistant along with Naked Necked Turkens. There are folks who will disagree with me but since you have active Marek's I would recommend that whatever birds you add to your flock you definitely have them vaccinated. You may still lose one or two but you will increase your survival rate. I read that Marek's will last in your soil for 7 years so it's going to be around for awhile and given the high transmission rate and it's occurrence rate you can count on it being around pretty much forever. Practice good coop management, parasite control and good diet with your flock.

Most of all, don't give up.

I personally don't cull unless the health status of a bird makes it necessary. I don't let them suffer when it comes to that. It's impossible to eradicate from your property, no one can really tell you how long it would take for it to be safe. Years at best, and it can come back in anytime, same as this time. It's there, and if you have a bird that is asymptomatic, that is a good thing in my book. But the decision is entirely yours. I occasionally add chicks from outside, I did this year with the fayoumi's, I try to hatch as many here as I can from asymptomatic birds. Breeding for resistance is a slow process, it takes a long time to know if you are having success. My losses have stabilized, this year was only a few older, symptomatic birds, no new cases that I've been able to identify. Yet. Some cull symptomatic birds as soon as they see symptoms, I don't do that either, particularly since I see a lot of occular cases. I figure it's here, and don't see the point. But it depends on your strain too, if you suffer a lot of losses every year, then more culling might be warranted when you see symptoms. There is really no one right answer, you have to do what works for you, and your flock.

I personally don't cull unless the health status of a bird makes it necessary. I don't let them suffer when it comes to that. It's impossible to eradicate from your property, no one can really tell you how long it would take for it to be safe. Years at best, and it can come back in anytime, same as this time. It's there, and if you have a bird that is asymptomatic, that is a good thing in my book. But the decision is entirely yours. I occasionally add chicks from outside, I did this year with the fayoumi's, I try to hatch as many here as I can from asymptomatic birds. Breeding for resistance is a slow process, it takes a long time to know if you are having success. My losses have stabilized, this year was only a few older, symptomatic birds, no new cases that I've been able to identify. Yet. Some cull symptomatic birds as soon as they see symptoms, I don't do that either, particularly since I see a lot of occular cases. I figure it's here, and don't see the point. But it depends on your strain too, if you suffer a lot of losses every year, then more culling might be warranted when you see symptoms. There is really no one right answer, you have to do what works for you, and your flock.
Agreed. When my birds became symptomatic I culled them rather than let them suffer. I was and still am amazed at how fast they can become symptomatic and near death. One of my favorite roosters seemed to be fine one night then the next day I noticed he couldn't swallow. When I checked him I discovered that he had two huge tumors behind his wattles. I knew there was only one thing I could do for him and I did it after sitting and holding him for the longest while crying my heart out.

This year I started losing older birds. Hens mostly with reproductive problems. One broke her leg. A couple just decided they were tired of living but at almost 7 years of age I didn't suspect Marek's as they were for the most part of healthy weight and appetite, unlike MD birds who are walking skeletons. It's amazing that when you have Marek's in your flock and one dies from non Marek's related diseases the relief you feel. To have them die from old age feels like you have won a marathon.

Her results came back from the necropsy. She ended up having mareks…. Really sad about it because now I have 4 dead hens, one sick and I don’t know what do to… 2 of my hens still seem healthy and happy but I really wanted to get more and now I don’t know what to do.. there’s really only one spot in my backyard as to where I can keep the coop and run and now that I know it’s Mareks and probably all over there home.. not sure how to clean and be safe about bringing new girls in.. this really sucks /:
Oops sorry, just asked for update

Back
Top Bottom