EEEk! Price increase @ TSC

The DuMor crumbles at my TSC went up from $12.99 to $13.99
sad.png
Even though that doesn't sound like a lot, it is for me. My chickens need to go on a diet.

After watching the news last night about everything from toothpaste to air going up in price this spring I'm going to the store tomorrow to stock up on sugar for canning season, purchasing those reusable canning lids, planning a bigger garden, building a chicken tractor so I can cut down on feed and letting the girls POOP in and TILL the garden this year before I plant.

I hang my clothes on the clothes line
I have a large garden
Fertilizer from compost
We cut our wood for heat
I clip coupons
We have beans for dinner twice a week
I cook from scratch
Anything we can do ourselves we do
My husbands car is a 2000 Ford (I can't believe it either)

I'm not complaining......It is very hard work but I also I like to do these things and because of it we have money aside.

When will it end?

Oh yeah...there is 4 feet of snow in my chicken run....the girls need to range...should I shovel or snow blow for crying out loud!

Last edited:
Just yesterday I was in TSC and checked the feed prices in Anderson, SC. Layena layer pellets 50# was up to $14.69 and Dumor brand was $13.29 or $13.49 (cn't remember which). My local feed store in Iva, SC still sells Bartlett layer pellets 2 50# for about $25. So feed prices appear to be up across the country.

Topknot19

I believe that if you rant you should be required to offer a solution.....

This year I will be planting mangels. Basically it is a large beet. Easy to grow and store. Used to be a winter staple food for cattle, livestock and poultry and in an emergency for people. Most are heritage seeds and could be difficult to find.

It would suprise you all if you knew how much money is wasted by overfeeding protein to your chickens. There is no earthly way that a chicken can efficienlty utilize the balance of amino acids that make up the higher protein content in turkey or gamebird feeds.

Sure a chicken will grow faster and perhaps even bigger if heavily fed a near optimum ration but at an acceptable, or efficient, cost? Once they are done growing the only nutrition needed beyond maintaing is feather regrowth, egg laying of compenstaion for sub optimum temperatures

It disturbs me to see all the money wasted by husbandry practices that produce a meat chicken so far behind the genetic potential of the bird. Why in the workd would anyone want to feed a meat chicken for eight weeks when it could achive the same weight with less feed in six weeks. Yes, I now that "older" chickens have more flavor. For me- give me a nice tender juicy young bird and I can Google a million sauces to make it taste great.

Want to see the what can be done with genetic potential and proper management-

http://www.cobb-vantress.com/contactus/brochures/Cobb500_BPN_Supp_2008_(lbs).pdf

Also if you buy "treats" that are less nutrious and more expensive than a carefully balanced ration you are wasting money.

Yes - feed prices are high but the best way to save is by improving efficency, cause you can't raise enough corn yourself to make the world market price change.

Expenditures beyond that which is most efficient is either wasteful, fun, or a hobby.

Quote:
We also can :)
I'm going to start going to local auctions/estate sales to see if I can get some old glass jars..
plan on buying the lids/seals in bulk ...

Prices are going up big time..and we are barely making ends meet..its disheartening :-(
so we are going to do chickens etc to help w/the chicken meat costs, egg costs...eggs here are about $1.80 a dozen!! if not more..those are regular medium eggs!

Now i know we are putting money out to begin with and we wont see a return on any of our investement for a while..but we are planning for the future here!!

An overall increase in supplies has pushed prices up. Farmers produce corn to make ethanol so the amount of grain on the market is dropping. Oil, steadilt increases in price, so this has a knock-on effect on the price on all goods that are transported around the country. Our dependence on foreign oil keeps us tied to other countries. If the Government (bless them) would allow us to tap in to our own sources of oil/gas we would be almost self-sufficient in less than 10 years! I can hear the EPA and others crying now, but in the UK it has been done, without the environmental impact that the scaremongers amongst us say will happen.......

Then we have local govt who think keeping chickens is unhealthy. What happened to the fight in the people of the USA? We are becoming a whiney nanny state like many of the European countries are.

I'm afraid we are going to disagree on a lot of things.

Quote:
As others in this thread have already said, the reason prices are going up is the drop in production worldwide. There have been other threads on here about it and it was on the news last night. There are a lot of online sources where you can check this out, such as the commodities analysts. You can't believe everything you read on the internet, but you can do some interesting research.

Quote:
Sorry but you are wrong. The price goes up when there is not enough supply to meet the demand. When we farmers put less grain out in the market either by growing less or because the weather cut the amount of grain that even goes into the marketplace...then prices can, but not always, go up.

Corn is not the only grain that they use to make ethanol, in our area they use a lot of milo too. I agree we need to get away from forgien oil........I wish the government would make even more ethanol use mandatory. Brazil is almost totally run on ethanol that they make from grain they grow themselves.

Last edited:
Quote:
Here's another wivestales I wish would die.
The three main reasons for high grain comodities is:
1 a week US dollar.
2 heavy globel demand due to poor yeilds in other countries.
3 comodity traders like to make money when they raise the price.

Ethanl has nothing to due with it. Do you realy think they just dump the spent corn in the garbage when done with it. No they due not. It is sold as animal feed hense the name DRYED DISTILLERS GRAIN.(DDG)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom