Eeek!

SandraMort

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
ny
I learned a lesson the hard way this morning. Don't give babies too much bedding. If one or two die, which occasionally happens, they get buried and you don't notice until they smell.

ICK.

Ohhhh my, what a horriable thing to learn !!!!!! I'm so sorry for you !!!!!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Why do you think you lost a few ??? How long do you think they were there ?? And how many chicks did you have ???

:aww :aww :aww :aww :aww :aww :aww

What are you using for bedding? If it's pine, that can kill them because they inhale or ingest it when they are pecking at food.

Quote:
I found them when I changed their bedding today.

How long do you think they were there ?? And how many chicks did you have ???

I changed the bedding Sunday, so less than a week. I have three dozen or so in the brooder, so two missing is understandable.​

Not sure offhand what kind of bedding it is, I'd have to look at the package. None of the birds have done badly with it before, though, so I suspect it was being cold when the electricians were here leaving the door open or the night the heat lamp blew out in the middle of the Brrrrrr... cold night.

M@M@2four :

What are you using for bedding? If it's pine, that can kill them because they inhale or ingest it when they are pecking at food.​

Sandra, I'm sorry for your loss. I'm like you, I think it's more likely the heat situation than the shavings. Best of luck with the rest of them.
ETA: Mine started out on pine shavings, still use it to this day. I made the newbie mistake of forgetting to put down paper towels over the bedding for the first few days. Didn't matter, they still did fine.

Last edited:
M@M@2four :

What are you using for bedding? If it's pine, that can kill them because they inhale or ingest it when they are pecking at food.

Several people have told me to use pine bedding...if it can kill them what are you suppose to use???​

Very young babies should probably have the shavings covered until they figure out where the food is. They will try to eat it, and can't handle it yet. So cover with newspapers or papertowels for the first few days until they know the difference between food and bedding. I try to keep my chicks on the rubber shelf liner in smaller brooders for the first week until they stabilize.
smile.png

So sorry SandraMort... :aww

Quote:
Several people have told me to use pine bedding...if it can kill them what are you suppose to use???

Pine shavings are fine, alot of people say not to use them for the first few days (chicks 1 - 3ish days) b/c they can cause spraled leg, Ive never had an issue !!!!! Pine is the safest to use !!!!

OK thanks! I am getting my first chicks next friday the 24th...and want to make sure I do this right!!!

Back
Top Bottom