eek MY CHICKEN EAT A FROG!!! eek

Ravenxxx

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 4, 2007
England
Well I can believe one of my girls killed a frog, not a tiny little frog either it was around 3 inches long!!!

She smacked its head over and over on the hard ground and tried her best to eat him. She walked around for about 20mins with it hanging out of her mouth. She did try to pull it to bits but that wasnt working so in the end she left it.
sad.png

Now we are all in shock :eek: one of our ladys acting like a brutel murder!!! i thought chickens eat only worms, bugs etc not frogs and certainly not a adult frog!

So why did she do this did she really think she could eat him?? CONFUSED
hmm.png

Last summer my girls got a hold of a frog. It was a game of keep away, and tug of war for a long while. They eventually tore it in half....and ate it. Hey, I like frog legs too!
smile.png

Your girl meant to eat that frog!! She just bit off more than she could swallow. Frogs, toads, and mice are on their menu. I did'nt believe till I saw it for myself. I did'nt have chickens so I borrowed my neighbors two Australorps to clean up a grasshopper infestation around my barn. They got a toad!!! I said ONLY grasshoppers, but they wer'nt listening too me. Lordhavemercy it was awful. The poor toad puffed up to try to protect itself. But Shirley was ripping off its arms while Lavern was holding on to it. I hope the end came quick, I would'nt know because I could'nt watch anymore.

Yeh, frogs and toads are on the menu! My big girls got a hold of one last summer but the one who had it couldn't eat it as she was so busy running away from the other girls!!!! It finally became a meal but don't know which one had it by that time!
smile.png

Hey Pegbo--those big girls wouldn't be Australorps, would they?

Mine have gone after frogs and a even a shrew. Nothing starts up a "parade" in the backyard like a prize dangling from the beak!

Stephanie

Since coming here I have learned that chickens eat and kill alot more than just bugs! I really like frogs and such, so I would be alittle freaked out if I saw a chicken try to kill one(I collect frog figurines and etc for my yard). There seems to be alot we don't know about our livestock friends because we don't let them live long enough to find out. I am finding alot about chickens more everyday and they are definitely not the bird brained animals many think and the media leads us on to be.

Back
Top Bottom