Eek! Not liking this new neighbor.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by stone_family3, Aug 30, 2011.

1. jimpad

jimpad In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    dahlonega ga
    Ruger 10/22 for sure

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Crowing

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    That is a hard call...where I am in NY we have sooo many birds of prey. Last week i had to scare of an absolutely HUGE Golden Eagle...wingspan was 5.5-6 foot! The chickens were going NUTS! The ducks were very quiet, the turkeys were throwing a fit and so were the geese! It's so hard to deal with....I know they need to eat too but sheesh....you'd think you could do something to deter them besides wrapping your yard in fishline and cds!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:You can't hawks are protected.

I think the person was kidding.. [​IMG]

5. Buiscuit

Buiscuit In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Alabama, And I hate it !
    Yes, i was just kidding. makin a little fun.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Songster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I never fail to get a chuckle every time I read stuff like this. It's also against to federal law to cheat or claim deduction you don't have coming on your tax return. Believe it or not, some people do cheat. Same with out traffic laws. No hollywood stops at stop signs. I see folks do it all the time. The only thing that keeps you in line is fear. It sure works on some folks. I will protect my flock. Period.

7. FarmerMel

FarmerMel In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Quote:You can't hawks are protected.

I think the person was kidding.. [​IMG]

[​IMG] x2

8. guineahen14

guineahen14 In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Shelbyville Tn
    A hawk got into my chicken yard, I have fishing line strung all over the top and cds hanging, it found a way thru the line and when I got out there it was running on the ground chasing my silkies. I chased it with a large pole net and it ran behind my coop and flew up to the top of the fence and escaped. They are smart and will find a way in you can't string every inch of space over your yard. We have now put heavy netting over a portion of the yard and fenced it off. If we see hawks the chickens stay locked in that section.

9. Evelle

Evelle Songster

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    It sure is a cute little danger itsnt it [​IMG]

10. FarmerRob

FarmerRob Songster

Jul 13, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:I understand the feeling, however, birds of prey enjoy Federal Protection. It is not a state issue. If you get caught killing or trying to kill one of them the fines and penalties are VERY steep. Not worth the risk.

Go with the netting over the run etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: