EE's Not laying after molt!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crazy Legs, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs New Egg

May 21, 2009
    Michigan
    Both my EE's stopped layin completely after molt this fall. It was there first molt, and not a singe egg since. Both were productive (an egg every other day at the very least) before.

Anything i can do? I've just been letting nature take its course...but its been about 3 months now.

2. acire67

acire67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Pleasant Valley
    Hi, I have 2 EEs (both hatchery birds). They will be a year old next month. One started laying last summer, 2 or 3 eggs a week. She stopped in the fall, and I was shocked to find a pale green egg in the coop last week! I don't think my other EE has ever laid an egg. Right now I have Ameraucana eggs in the incubator; I've heard that the true Ameraucanas lay better than EEs. Will be interesting to find out. Good luck with your girls. Some people swear by Cayenne pepper I think, sprinkled on their food to get them to lay.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I hate to be a bearer of bad news but I'll admit to you, EE's can be weird birds. My only EE girl from a hatchery, for example, lays about 20 eggs a year. Honestly. Yours may just have something bothering her, or maybe she's just taking a break. Higher protein in her diet or even a little cayenne pepper may put her back into cycle.

From my experience of various colors and bloodlines of true Ameraucanas, yes, they are more reliable. Some strains you'll have to wait 6-9 months for them to first start laying, but in general they're good layers. Mine began, luckily, at 5-6 months.

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Three of my EE's started molting in Sept. and stopped laying. They finally started laying again on Jan 1st ~ Happy New Year!

5. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    The limited experience I have had with EEs as well as the limited experience of my family and friends is that they are incredibly unreliable layers. A friend had one that laid maybe 20 eggs in her lifetime, all her pullet year. She finally was culled at 4 years old. Hadn't laid an egg in years. [​IMG]

6. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    One of my EEs (Stitch) lays me a pretty blue egg almost every day for 3-4 days then skips a day. She is VERY consistent. [​IMG]

7. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    tn
    I have a hen that lays green eggs, she does'nt look like an EE though, She laid at least six big green eggs a week all spring and summer. She molted late and has not laid an egg since. I have a Delaware that is laying two a week and an American Game that laid her first egg today!!!!!

8. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I guess EEs can vary, since during the warm months my 2 will lay 5-7 a week. One just finished a molt, and my other has just started. The one who finished started laying right after her tail grew in.

9. Dray67

Dray67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Aberdeen, MD
    I bet she will lay when the days get longer this spring.

10. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs New Egg

May 21, 2009
    Michigan
    Thank you for all the input...we will keep waiting and see what they decide to do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by