EEW, Tapeworms! Where to buy small quantity of Valbazen?

TheMadChickenLady

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
A few days ago, I was watching my chickens free range around the barn when I noticed an unusual fresh poop... that had little moving tapeworm sections in it!
sickbyc.gif

I examined more poops (my chickies probably thought I was nuts, following them around and waiting...) and several of my birds were leaving deposits with tapeworm bits in them!
sickbyc.gif
I feel awful for not noticing before it got this bad...

I haven't wormed these birds in a very long time, so they might have other worms as well. Today I'm going to start with a preemptive strike of Wazine, even though I know that it won't kill the tapeworms.

I'd like to use Valbazen in 10 or 12 days from now... but everywhere I look, I only see it sold in huge (and expensive) quantities! I only have 10 chickens right now, and I would really prefer to not have to spend 35 dollars for a giant bottle I will never get through if I can avoid it.

Does anyone know where I can find a small bottle of Valbazen, or have a better suggestion for getting rid of these nasty tapeworms?
fl.gif

Thanks SO MUCH!!!

I used Eprinex based on a suggestion from Speckledhen. My chickens had some lice and mites, not what I would call an infestation , but enough that I could see them on some of the chickens. The great thing about eprinex is it takes care of all internal and external parasites. It's a pour on product made for cattle and there is no meat or milk with drawl period so we feel that the eggs are still safe for consumption.

Eprinex will not kill tapeworms. I recommend you buy the bottle of valbazen, it will kill every known worm that a chicken can get, it will last you a long time as well. Since you've wormed your chickens before, skip the wazine and use the valbazen. Dosage for the valbazen is 1/2cc/ml for standards, 1/4cc/ml for smaller birds given orally. Zimectrin Gold paste is an equine wormer that has ivermectin and praziquantel in it. Praziquantel kills tapeworms. Dosage for the Zimectrin Gold paste is a small "pea" size amount for each chicken regardless of size, repeat in 14 days. Edited- jeffers livestock is about the cheapest I've found. Good luck.

Last edited:
Quote:
How would you give paste to fussy chickens? or any for that matter
smile.png
How about sharing the paste with dogs and cats? and would you have dosages for them? Can't thank you enough for that lead!
thumbsup.gif

Toast'n Jelly :

Quote:
smile.png
How about sharing the paste with dogs and cats? and would you have dosages for them? Can't thank you enough for that lead!
thumbsup.gif

Put the paste on a small piece of bread and give a piece to each chicken. I dont know about dogs and cats, only chickens...sorry.​

Quote:
smile.png
thumbsup.gif

Put the paste on a small piece of bread and give a piece to each chicken. I dont know about dogs and cats, only chickens...sorry.

Okay, thanks
smile.png

Toast'n Jelly :

Quote:
Would you have dosages for the Zimectrin Gold paste for dogs and cats?

Please be careful. Some German shepards are sensitive to the ivermectin.​

Quote:
Would you have dosages for the Zimectrin Gold paste for dogs and cats?

Please be careful. Some German shepards are sensitive to the ivermectin.

Thanks for the warning, I've been using ivomec for heartworm prevention once a month with no ill effects.
Took her stool to the vets last week and she had a clean slate re worms.
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom