Effect of nutritional intake on the gender ratio of chicks

Ital

Songster
Apr 20, 2023
I’ve read that hens can go through stages of laying eggs with an unusually high ratio of either male or female chicks that can last for months at a time.

In humans the sole factor that determines the gender of offspring is the level of testosterone in the male, some foods are capable of lowering testosterone levels in humans..
  • mint
  • nuts (almonds and walnuts but the latter probably not a good option because of the high levels of selenium)
  • flaxseed
  • licorice root
Has anyone tried altering the diet of a roo in order to influence the gender ratio of his offspring?

Last edited:
Not sure about nutritional influences, but I do remember reading something about the temperature in the early embryonic stage of the egg can affect gender outcome i.e. change the gender. Something to the effect of if the embryo was changed from male to female due to the temperature of the egg, that female when bred to a male would produce all male offspring.. interesting.. sorry I can't answer your question though.

Not sure about nutritional influences, but I do remember reading something about the temperature in the early embryonic stage of the egg can affect gender outcome i.e. change the gender. Something to the effect of if the embryo was changed from male to female due to the temperature of the egg, that female when bred to a male would produce all male offspring.. interesting.. sorry I can't answer your question though.
Ooh thanks, that might explain why there’s a sometimes a disproportionate ratio for months at a time as the temperature changes with the seasons, if any of my hens are temperature switched it might hamper my experiment. I’ll look into it.

I’ve got some Chinese liquorice growing but it won’t be ready to harvest for a few years yet so might try with some mint flax and almonds next time plan on hatching eggs.

Birds are different than mammals. The gender is determined by the female in chickens. I have seen information about stress to hens causing more male offspring. I don't remember where, but I had a batch of chicks that came from a flock with to many roos. 10/15 of those chicks were male. So maybe a hens diet could have an influence on gender, but I don't know.
As far as temperature of eggs affecting gender the theory in the past has been female embryos are hardier than males. Meaning the males are more likely to die if the eggs are to cold. I have never seen concrete evidence to prove this to be true.

Last edited:
Birds are different than mammals. The gender is determined by the female in chickens. I have seen information about stress to hens causing more male offspring. I don't remember where, but I had a batch of chicks that came from a flock with to many roos. 10/15 of those chicks were male. So maybe a hens diet could have an influence on gender, but I don't know.
As far as temperature of eggs affecting gender the theory in the past has been female embryos are hardier than males. Meaning the males are more likely to die if the eggs are to cold. I have never seen concrete evidence to prove this to be true.
You are right about the female determining gender, also there is some evidence that they consciously decide.
Maybe giving them phytoestrogens would be worth a try.

Just found this..

In mammals, it’s the father (XY) that decides the sex of each offspring, the mother (XX) only ever able to contribute one of her two X chromosomes.

In chickens, it’s the reverse.

Males possess two Z chromosomes, whereas females have one of each sex chromosome, denoted as ZW.

And so, it’s the hen’s contribution that determines the gender of chicks, not the rooster’s.

https://onceuponachicken.com/how-to-hatch-more-hens-than-roosters/

Last edited:
I can't speak to chickens, but in humans the pH level of the female strongly influences whether X or Y sperm get to the egg first. I won't go into detail of how you change the pH.

But, on that note, if a chicken is stressed, that may affect the pH level of her system.

@Penpal I had some issues with calcium uptake lowering the ph too much with probiotics so wouldn’t want to risk experimenting, current plan is a side by side with red clover but if they’re consciously dictating gender I doubt it’ll work.

There’s someone on eBay selling a magnet on the end of a piece of string that’s supposed to indicate the gender of eggs depending on which way it swings, not sure if or how it would work but he has 100% positive feedback.

Back
Top Bottom