Effective Quail feeder???

SamG347

Songster
12 Years
Mar 4, 2007
PA
Can anyone reccomend a quail feeder that doesn't allow a lot of spillage that will work in place of a rabbit feeder? I have all my cages eating out of the clip on rabbit feeders but the one cage in particular will empty the WHOLE thing in a night onto the dropping tray below. I have chicken wire over each feeder...so I'm really confused how they waste soo much. Might try and put a smaller size wire on them and see if that works. But then they might not be able to eat as well.
Thanks all!
big_smile.png

I have a rabbit feeder too, and I was going to stretch the soda six-pack rings stretched over it. Saw that in one of the threads here, and they said it really lessened the waste. I hope it does, anyway!!

Quote:
Never worked for my A&M's Niki.

I need to look back and search (or you can do the same) but some one (sorry for forgetting the name) told me to wrap duct tape over half of the rabbit feeder. It cut waste down BIG TIME!!!

I can see where the 6-pack rings would help. As I watched them eat they throw their heads. Spilling 10X more than they eat.

Quote:
Never worked for my A&M's Niki.

I need to look back and search (or you can do the same) but some one (sorry for forgetting the name) told me to wrap duct tape over half of the rabbit feeder. It cut waste down BIG TIME!!!

I can see where the 6-pack rings would help. As I watched them eat they throw their heads. Spilling 10X more than they eat.

You just have bad birds then
tongue.png

I use it in all my pens cept my golden pen because they get fed right on the floor of their indoor part
big_smile.png

Quote:
I am using a 7# hanging chick feeder... and I hang it!!! if a fluffy butts try to hop on, he gets thrown off
tongue.png

I've got it set just high enough for them to eat it without bending. and to refil, I pull the string up through the cage wire, and pour the feed in through the top. The only thing I am going to have to do soon as far as opening the cage is culling an egg collecting, and I'm looking to have to eliminate one of those with my next cage build ..............
smile.png

I basically do the same as Niki, except I use just the bottom of the plastic round feeders. The only birds that have the bottle are the jumbo browns, simply because there are 12 birds in that pen. They go through the feed fast!!

Do your feeders sit right on the floor? If so, you might want to raise them a bit.

LilRalphieRoosmama had listed an item she bought off ebay before, basically the same idea as macnugget's waterer base. A PVC pipe with a 'zigzag' opening cut down the center, about 1"wide. I don't remember what exactly she said about it, but I know she said it cut down on waste. Do a search for her post
smile.png

Good luck!! You could always put a catch pan under the feeder, to catch the dropped feed. I think mine quit wasting it so much when they realized the feeder wouldn't be filled immediately!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
We've had this discussion before... Remember I have "engineered birds" that were hatched and raised by 7th graders. They are bound to be nuts
roll.png

Well fiiinne then they're "Spechal quail"
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom