Egads...Mites...I was sooo embarrassed...

I was told by several people I met at the Stevenson, WA show this summer to use injectable cattle ivermectin. Here is how one silkie breeder showed me to apply it. Using syringe, apply two to three drops on the bald spot under the wing. This (I was told) lasts a couple months.

All I can say is this- I've used it on my birds with no ill effects and I had a couple with leg mites that were cured by the application (over time as feet healed). I have been using it with success, however, I still worm with piperazine every six months (as a rotation/attempt to prevent resistance).

On that note, please please PLEASE remember to rotate your wormers. Creepy crawly parasites cab become resistant to wormers just as bacteria can become resistant to antibiotics.

I just ordered a new wormer from Firststatevet to put into my rotation (since piperazine doesn't treat as many types of worms/parasites as ivermectin) and I am paranoid about resistance.

I feel like I know exactly how you felt. I had practically the same thing happen except I was going to pack them up to meet the buyer, but couldn't and had to cancel and admit why. It was embarassing, and I felt like a terrible chicken mom. But, it's a learning experience.

I went round and round for 2 months, spent plenty of bucks and the numbers just kept growin until the Ivermectin... one application and some follow up dusting of the coops, a fleat/tick bath and everyone was fine again. Feathers started growing back, eggs came back.

It was really bad before I got to the ivermectin... the sevin, the de, the permethrin sprays... doused the coops, the birds... tons of flea baths.... spent so much money and none of it got rid of them.. just got the numbers down a bit. My feed lady DONATED a leftover bottle of the Ivermectin with some still in it... and presto. I can buy it for $38 a bottle which would last for years. TOTALLY WORTH EVERY PENNY.

I just told myself, it's ok.. as long as I NEVER let that happen again.
Learning as I go, just as we all do.

Quote:
Let them dust in food grade D.E. I use D.E. in the coop. you can make a paint so you can put it on perches also. Its the natural way to treat. And it doesnt harm your eggs.

we have a dusting mixture now of course, but prior to that we never had mites, and so never used anything really. They were au natural so to speak.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom