I wanna start hatching and raising buttons - looking for dialog :)

is it possible to seperate specific pairs and have them rejoin a bigger group later? or would that be too stressful. because as far as i can tell they can do well in bigger groups with enough space
Yes they can be together. However I do suggest you separate them into individual pairs for breeding and when they are raising their chicks. Each male will have it's own territory during the breeding season and in bigger very natural looking and planted aviarys they can successfully breed and stay in their own territory but the space required would mean you'd need a rather big aviary. So it's much easier to just have them together until the breeding season. I'd also suggest you get leg bands so you can separate different pairs that you want breeding together.

Yes they can be together. However I do suggest you separate them into individual pairs for breeding and when they are raising their chicks. Each male will have it's own territory during the breeding season and in bigger very natural looking and planted aviarys they can successfully breed and stay in their own territory but the space required would mean you'd need a rather big aviary. So it's much easier to just have them together until the breeding season. I'd also suggest you get leg bands so you can separate different pairs that you want breeding together.
Mine stay in a group all the time and do fine. I have 5 males and they do chase each other sometimes but that's it. I lost my 3 older females a few months ago so I'm down to only 2 females.

Mine stay in a group all the time and do fine. I have 5 males and they do chase each other sometimes but that's it. I lost my 3 older females a few months ago so I'm down to only 2 females.
Oh, ok I didn't know that they can breed together! Or did you mean that they stay in a group and breed in separate pair?

Oh, ok I didn't know that they can breed together! Or did you mean that they stay in a group and breed in separate pair?
I have noticed that they do kinda pair up and each male will stay with and mate with one female the most, but they also just mate with all the females. The males even mate with each other sometimes

I have noticed that they do kinda pair up and each male will stay with and mate with one female the most, but they also just mate with all the females. The males even mate with each other sometimes
yeah ive seen my two males mount each other, they even crouch down and make a noise to call the other over (different from the "i have food" noise)
i can definitely see them forming their own lil relationships and cliques when they have enough space to do their own thing, which i definitely have. not planning on stuffing a bunch of quail into my enclosure, i want each individual to at least have a 20x20 cm area

Back
Top Bottom