Egg #2 or egg #1 from a different duck?

aineheartsyou

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Dixie, WA
Egg #1 is on the left and this mornings egg on the right. Same duck or maybe a different one?
30466_pict0396.jpg

I only have one duck that is laying at the moment and the one on the left looks like the first one she laid and the one on the right looks like the fifth one she laid. She is new at it though and is till getting the hang of the laying thing so I chalked it up to that. It is possible that it is a different duck but it's also likely that they belong to the same duck. Is there any reason in particular that you are worried bout who laid it? if it is a big issue you can separate your females for one night since they lay early wait until after they have laid to let them go play together and you will be able to tell if it was laid by a different duck.

Hard to say. Different ducks may lay eggs that are distinctive from each others, or they may be pretty similar. Those two look pretty similar. It is normal for a duck to lay dark eggs early in the season and lighten up as the season progresses. It is normal for there to be some variance day to day, especially early in a young duck's lay. I would expect a duck's eggs to get lighter colored and larger during her first year particularly. I guess you'll have to just wait to see if you start getting more than one a day!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom