Egg and laying and feed questions Questions

Glos Girls

Chirping
5 Years
May 19, 2014
I was told the first few eggs are pretty small until the hens body adjusts to laying. How long does it usually take before the eggs are editable?
Also I read in a post here it is wise not to give laying feed until the hen is actually laying. So how do I feed laying feed when only one has started to lay? They are all the same age but so far only one has started practicing her egg song and other signs of being ready to start laying. I have 21 hens in this coop..

There's no reason not to eat the first few eggs unless they don't have shells. I don't eat eggs that don't have shells.

You can supplement calcium to your layers which are mixed with non layers but feeding an all flock or grower with oyster shell in a dish on the side. The ones that need it will take some, the ones that don't will ignore it.

do not get crumbles after eight months they need it at first but then they will stand in it and its like dust so they might not be eating it we use laying pellets they like it

Thank you for the info ♥ She did lay our first egg today!
clap.gif
We are so happy!

There's no reason not to eat the first few eggs unless they don't have shells. I don't eat eggs that don't have shells.

You can supplement calcium to your layers which are mixed with non layers but feeding an all flock or grower with oyster shell in a dish on the side. The ones that need it will take some, the ones that don't will ignore it.
Ditto^^^^^

Back
Top Bottom