Egg and laying and feed questions Questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Glos Girls, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Glos Girls

Glos Girls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    I was told the first few eggs are pretty small until the hens body adjusts to laying. How long does it usually take before the eggs are editable?
    Also I read in a post here it is wise not to give laying feed until the hen is actually laying. So how do I feed laying feed when only one has started to lay? They are all the same age but so far only one has started practicing her egg song and other signs of being ready to start laying. I have 21 hens in this coop..

2. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    There's no reason not to eat the first few eggs unless they don't have shells. I don't eat eggs that don't have shells.

You can supplement calcium to your layers which are mixed with non layers but feeding an all flock or grower with oyster shell in a dish on the side. The ones that need it will take some, the ones that don't will ignore it.

3. dumplingirl

dumplingirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    do not get crumbles after eight months they need it at first but then they will stand in it and its like dust so they might not be eating it we use laying pellets they like it

4. Glos Girls

Glos Girls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Thank you for the info ♥ She did lay our first egg today! [​IMG] We are so happy!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto^^^^^

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by