Egg Binding or What?

cooltindog

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2015
5 of my 6 hens started laying a week ago. The 6th hen finally laid her first today. The egg had a small amount of blood stain on one end. She seems to be behaving normally otherwise. Do young hens sometimes do this? Any ideas? All my coveys are fed Purina Game Bird Layena, have constant fresh water, and dirt baths daily.
Thanks for any input.

Yes, this is normal with young layers...finding blood on the eggs. It takes a while for young layers to get their egg machines in gear. This should disappear over time. But keep an eye on things. Does this feed have extra calcium in it? (I have never used it) If it doesn't, make sure to offer up some crushed oystershell for hard egg shells and for good contractions to push out those eggs.

Otherwise your birds sound fine! :)

It is " Calcium Fortified " Calcium (Ca) not less than 2.5% Calcium (Ca) not more than 3.5% . Do they need more? Thanks

I like to keep some crushed oyster shell around anyway just in case a hen does need more. But it is up to you on this. This feed does sound like it has enough. :)

Yes, I read at about 45% protein in a prolonged diet, you start running the risk of renal failure. I cant find the paper I read it in now thou.

Is it possible to give too much protein?
Yes and no. I feed all of my birds 30% and have for a while now, it doesn't cause any long term health issues.

However the feed store botched my order once and I had to feed 19% for a couple weeks and then switched back to 30%. After I switched back I had a few prolapses all within a week. Since I maybe have a couple in a year, I tend to think that me changing protein percentages that far all at once caused them. So while it's fine to feed them high protein, if you raise the percentage, don't do it at all once.

Last edited:
What is a prolapse? I mean I know what it is but not with birds I have seen rectal prolapses in pigs and cows.

Yes, I read at about 45% protein in a prolonged diet, you start running the risk of renal failure. I cant find the paper I read it in now thou.
Good to know!

What is a prolapse? I mean I know what it is but not with birds I have seen rectal prolapses in pigs and cows.
Same thing essentially, except with birds it usually refers to a prolapse of the ovaduct.

Back
Top Bottom