Egg bound and about to prolapse

5hanell

Chirping
Jun 20, 2020
Hi. I have a 4 year old Cochin that has been egg bound for 4 days now. She is not pooping at all.

Her comb is red she eats and drinks but cries out in pain everytime she tries to poop. I am fairly positive I felt a hard egg with calcium build up on it. She also has vent gleet. The smell is terrible.

What I have done so far:
Epsom salt soaks
Tums
Miconazole 7
Preperation H
Lubrication inside and out
Probiotics
Electrolytes
Molasses
Was given antibiotics from vet and finished a week ago
Just started LA200

The picture is of when she is trying to push.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20240309_140949.jpg
    20240309_140949.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 45
Molasses is good for treating constipation, but not egg binding.
She's gonna need extra calcium to help with her contractions to push the egg, out. Calcium Citrate Tablets work great if you got any.

I would get calcium citrate with vitamin D tablets at Walmart or a pharmacy, and the generic is around $9. Give her one orally into her beak. If you don’t have that give a Tums orally. But get the calcium citrate today. She may have lash egg material inside or be very constipated. I would soak her in warm soapy water to clean her up, and you may need to manually try to remove the obstruction. Use a disposable glove. The calcium helps to expel egg and lash material. There may be some solid urate material inside the vent that needs to come off. Hard to know what it is.

Molasses is good for treating constipation, but not egg binding.
She's gonna need extra calcium to help with her contractions to push the egg, out. Calcium Citrate Tablets work great if you got any.
Her poop was so hard stuck inside her behind the egg, my thought for the Molasses was to soften the poop to go around the egg. She hasn't pooped in 3 days.

I would get calcium citrate with vitamin D tablets at Walmart or a pharmacy, and the generic is around $9. Give her one orally into her beak. If you don’t have that give a Tums orally. But get the calcium citrate today. She may have lash egg material inside or be very constipated. I would soak her in warm soapy water to clean her up, and you may need to manually try to remove the obstruction. Use a disposable glove. The calcium helps to expel egg and lash material. There may be some solid urate material inside the vent that needs to come off. Hard to know what it is.
The "egg" I feel has calcium build up on it and feels off to the side. I have been giving her tums. I will get calcium citrate. When she pushed the hole doesn't expand, would you recommend Lubrication on the inside? Would it also help to try to move the egg inside?

Last thing....worse case if the egg breaks what would you recommend for an ennama type situation to wash all the shell and egg out?

Her poop was so hard stuck inside her behind the egg, my thought for the Molasses was to soften the poop to go around the egg. She hasn't pooped in 3 days.
Poop won't pass until the egg does. It's blocking off her anus that's on the right side of the oviduct(Vagina). Chickens have a two "valve" system set up that's divided, but connected.

Back
Top Bottom