EGG BOUND AND POOP

SammyJoyMonte

Chirping
Sep 1, 2021
NJ
My Coop
My Coop
I've noticed recently that there have only been 4 eggs (I have 5 hens) and by the type of eggs determine that My one year old hen Fionna wasn't laying. Then, I looked at her butt and it was COVERED in poop. She's the most skiddish out of all of my hens but my mom and I managed to hold her butt down in an Epsom Salt bath for 10ish minutes. She then scraped off a good amount of the poop and we pulled out what's in the first and second picture, out which seemed to be stuck in her butt (my mom leaves paper plates in the run so I'm assuming it's that or the wood chipping bedding). Now she's doing diarrhea where, in the third
PXL_20230608_221430112.jpg
picture, actually came out yellow. Is she going to be okay?

Attachments

• PXL_20230608_221059924.jpg
    PXL_20230608_221059924.jpg
    572.5 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230608_221140450.jpg
    PXL_20230608_221140450.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 7
She's not egg bound, she had a soft shelled egg break inside her.
Soft eggs come from too many extras, not enough real feed or just a quirk of the hen.
She needs amoxacillian to fight an infection that will come with a broken egg.

She's not egg bound, she had a soft shelled egg break inside her.
Soft eggs come from too many extras, not enough real feed or just a quirk of the hen.
She needs amoxacillian to fight an infection that will come with a broken egg.
Oh gosh. Is the amoxicillin something I can just get from my local pharmacy? And can the infection be deadly?

Oh gosh. Is the amoxicillin something I can just get from my local pharmacy? And can the infection be deadly?
No You can't just get antibiotics at the store.
Do you have a local vet that you can take her to?

Infections like this usually are deadly.
Slow painful death.

The number one thing to take a hard look at right now in your flock is what you feed them.
If you are feeding daily treats and table scraps, please stop.
Feed only a pelleted or crumbled layer type chicken feed.

No You can't just get antibiotics at the store.
Do you have a local vet that you can take her to?

Infections like this usually are deadly.
Slow painful death.

The number one thing to take a hard look at right now in your flock is what you feed them.
If you are feeding daily treats and table scraps, please stop.
Feed only a pelleted or crumbled layer type chicken feed.
Is there any other way I can help her? I can't bring her to a vet.

I've noticed recently that there have only been 4 eggs (I have 5 hens) and by the type of eggs determine that My one year old hen Fionna wasn't laying. Then, I looked at her butt and it was COVERED in poop. She's the most skiddish out of all of my hens but my mom and I managed to hold her butt down in an Epsom Salt bath for 10ish minutes. She then scraped off a good amount of the poop and we pulled out what's in the first and second picture, out which seemed to be stuck in her butt (my mom leaves paper plates in the run so I'm assuming it's that or the wood chipping bedding). Now she's doing diarrhea where, in the thirdView attachment 3534487 picture, actually came out yellow. Is she going to be okay?
UPDATE: She's not showing any signs of peritonitis. She's eating great, active, socializing. The only thing I can note is that she hasn't laid an egg over the past few days. There's no more blockage and I can see her pooping, but no eggs. I'm not sure what to do.

Back
Top Bottom