Egg bound and then shell-less egg

CrabbeCottage

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2019
Kent, uk
Hi all,

I currently have a sick little 2 year old Ko Shamo (in the laundry basket beside my bed!) Her and her sister have always had a bit of trouble passing their eggs but on Thursday evening I noticed this girls bottom was rather mucky. I scooped her up for a closer inspection and to clean her up and realised she was egg bound. I tried the warm baths, a bit of olive oil around the vent etc and the egg finally came out Friday afternoon. I thought she seemed back to herself apart from a rather sore looking vent, today as I was cleaning out the coop she was bright and active and was in and out the nest boxes, half of the chooks are going broody so I didn’t take much notice of that, but at bedtime she’s got a real mucky rear end again and is looking really hunched and sorry for herself. I’ve put her in my basket on a towel and she’s actually passed a completely shell-less egg, just like you would crack into the pan. Has anyone else ever experienced this?, it seems everything I’ve read suggests that once your chicken has been egg bound it’s generally a downhill slide for them?
I hope someone can give me some words of encouragement, I’ll be so sad if she doesn’t pull through Ko Shamos are such gentle and comical little birds, she’s more a pet rather than an egg provider.

Thanks for reading

Julie

Does she have any damage to her vent or prolapse? Pictures of her vent can be helpful. Eggs that are shell-less possibly due to low calcium levels or shell gland problems, can be harder to pass. Theose can also make them feel weak. I would be tempted to give some extra calcium for a few days to see if that makes a difference. Also, make sure that she is drinking plenty of water. Offer some watery chicken feed and some cooked egg. Vitamins would be helpful as well.

Back
Top Bottom