Egg bound bantam??

bootherooster

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2023
Hello everyone, I have a 3yrd bantam hen who seems to be displaying egg bound symptoms? However, I've felt her vent area and do not feel an egg, nor do I see her pushing. Symptoms: tail down, puffed out, pale comb, swollen vent area. I bathed her in warm water and have given her a calcium boost (extra crushed calcium in food), but nothing. She's eating and pooping well. So I'm confused as to what this could be.

Hello everyone, I have a 3yrd bantam hen who seems to be displaying egg bound symptoms? However, I've felt her vent area and do not feel an egg, nor do I see her pushing. Symptoms: tail down, puffed out, pale comb, swollen vent area. I bathed her in warm water and have given her a calcium boost (extra crushed calcium in food), but nothing. She's eating and pooping well. So I'm confused as to what this could be.
Photos of her and her poop?

Sounds like she may be having a hard time passing an egg or she may have laid internally.
If she's pooping well, then she's not bound yet.

I'd continue to give her the extra Calcium daily for a several days, see that she's staying hydrated.

Thank you for replying! I don't have any photos of her poop and I can't take some currently since it's night time where I live. Her poop is normal brown with a little bit of white. I've been researching online and believe that she might've layed internally as well. Are there any treatments you'd suggest?

Attachments

• 20230714_190702.jpg
    20230714_190702.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 13
She's a cute little thing.
Very pale isn't she! Does she have any lice or mites?
What do you feed?

Does she live outside?

If she's having a hard time laying an egg, give her the extra calcium as mentioned.
She may benefit from some poultry vitamins.

She's a cute little thing.
Very pale isn't she! Does she have any lice or mites?
What do you feed?

Does she live outside?

If she's having a hard time laying an egg, give her the extra calcium as mentioned.
She may benefit from some poultry vitamins.
Good news! She layed a slightly soft shell egg. Last night I also tried putting olive oil on her vent and it seems like it really helped her! I'll continue giving her electrolytes and extra calcium. Thank you for replying guys!

Good news! She layed a slightly soft shell egg. Last night I also tried putting olive oil on her vent and it seems like it really helped her! I'll continue giving her electrolytes and extra calcium. Thank you for replying guys!
I hope she's feeling a little better now.

I agree, I'd continue with the calcium and electrolytes for a few more days. I hope she's past all this.

Back
Top Bottom