Egg bound/Broody? 1yr old Orpington

porokelle

Chirping
Dec 5, 2021
Hi Everyone,

Preface to say, we're in New Zealand - in the middle of spring, about April weather/temps for northern hemisphere folks.

We had a scare last night - realized before putting the girls to bed our black orpington (1 of 5 chickens, 1 yr old) was acting standoffish and hadn't eaten (was drinking), was a bit lower to the ground, and eyes dazed; her crop was empty/mush, so in she came.

The day before, she spent a very long time in a nesting box. Our other orpingtons are blues and are larger than she is, she's quite svelt comparatively. She typically takes longer in the box than they do.

We got a bit of food into her (yogurt, scrambled egg, mealworms), she forced out a few stringy thin poops, and in about 30 minutes wings out, wide eyed, with much fanfare, out plopped an egg.
She had a voracious appetite after that and went to bed. Her comb is and has been bright red.

She's out this morning. Was acting normal. But has been in the box for 3 hours already, almost pancake in the box.
We thought last night that it must have been a difficult egg to pass, but now I'm wondering if there's either another egg that's was built up because she couldn't pass the last one, or if she's starting to go broody and this has been precursor?

She already eats oystershell, but is there anything we can do to tell or help her along if the eggs are being difficult long term?

Also to say, she was treated last Friday with a single drop of invermectin/panacur on the back of her neck, along with the other girls. Some of the girls were having some feather loss from lice, and we found a single red mite, so decided to treat.

I think my first guess - that the second egg was being blocked might be correct. She's finally laid and it's an incredibly deformed egg. Will post photos later.

I suspect she has a hard time passing most of her eggs.
Would a calcium supplement/eggshell in yogurt or some treat form only she gets, in addition to the oyster shell help, or would that be too much calcium?

Get some calcium citrate +D3 and give her one tablet once a day until she's better.
Is there a dosage for them - I wouldn't want to over treat?
I can get pills that are:
Calcium (from calcium citrate tetrahydrate) 333.33 mg; Vitamin D3 (colecalciferol) 8.33 micrograms, film coated tablets Contains: Contains sulfites

20221007_105200.jpg
20221007_105137.jpg

And pics of today's malformed egg. I've forgotten to open either to see if they were double yolkers.

Is there a dosage for them - I wouldn't want to over treat?
I can get pills that are:
Calcium (from calcium citrate tetrahydrate) 333.33 mg; Vitamin D3 (colecalciferol) 8.33 micrograms, film coated tablets Contains: Contains sulfites
That should work. But you may want to get some with at least 400mg of calcium. Mine is 400mg. This is what I use.->

Attachments

• IMG_9586.jpg
    IMG_9586.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 4
Most of us use a 600 mg calcium tablet daily when giving extra calcium for a shell problem. Calcium citrate with D3 is abdsorbed fastest, but calcium carbonate is also good if you don’t have the other. It doesn’t have to be that exact dosage. Your picture looks like the slab sided egg in the link above. That can happen when 2 eggs are close together, and they are having trouble laying. The wrinkling can also be a sign of stress or infectious bronchitis virus.

Back
Top Bottom