Egg Bound but can’t feel an egg??

Bear4boo

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
Midwest
My Brahma is very much acting egg bound but upon checking her we do not feel an egg. We have given her calcium and several Epsom salt baths but still no egg. She hardly moves and will barely eat or drink
IMG_0479.jpeg
and we can see her vent pulsating like she’s really trying to pass an egg. Could the egg be ruptured? We have called probably 15 vets and either they don’t treat chickens or they are unable to see her. I don’t know what else to do!

How old is she and when did she lay her last normal egg?

She might have problems passing a shell-less egg.

What do her droppings look like?
And whrn did you last deworm?

Does she have an unusual smell?

How often and how much calcium are you giving? Are you using calcium citrate with D3 around 600mg? It can be given daily for a few days. Has she been walking with her legs wide apart, using her wings, or is she having trouble standing? If she is a couple of years old, she could be egg bound or suffering from a reproductive disorder. Can you see any enlargement of her belly down between her legs? What do her poops look like? Try holding water up to her beak, and mix a small bowl or cup of water and her chicken feed to make a watery mash.

How old is she and when did she lay her last normal egg?

She might have problems passing a shell-less egg.

What do her droppings look like?
And whrn did you last deworm?

Does she have an unusual smell?
I have a chicken who acts like she's egg bound but I can't feel an egg she does have a slight odor to her and her dropping are a greenish liquid

I have a chicken who acts like she's egg bound but I can't feel an egg she does have a slight odor to her and her dropping are a greenish liquid
Welcome to BYC. It might be helpful to start a new thread of your own for more help. Pictures also help. How old is she? Does she lay eggs normally most of the time? How does her vent look, any dropping stuck, any swelling,etc?

Welcome to BYC. It might be helpful to start a new thread of your own for more help. Pictures also help. How old is she? Does she lay eggs normally most of the time? How does her vent look, any dropping stuck, any swelling,etc?
She is about 2 years old. she is a frequent layer . I thought she was egg bound but I cannot feel an egg. She won't move eat or drink just sleeps. Her comb is darker than normal. Her poop very liquidy with a bad smell yellowish.

She looks enlarged or bloated. Does she have any air that you can feel under her skin? Is her comb always dark like that? pictures of the yellow poop may help. Has she been drinking water? I would offer water with some electrolytes or sugar up to her beak. A dark comb can be from heart failure or dehydration. You could give her a human calcium tablet with d orally to help her pass an egg"

She looks enlarged or bloated. Does she have any air that you can feel under her skin? Is her comb always dark like that? pictures of the yellow poop may help. Has she been drinking water? I would offer water with some electrolytes or sugar up to her beak. A dark comb can be from heart failure or dehydration. You could give her a human calcium tablet with d orally to help her pass an egg"
No her comb just became dark today. She's puffed up when she's laying down like that. I will have to wait till she poops again to see but I have been giving her sugar water . Yesterday she was eating and drinking but not today.

Back
Top Bottom