Egg bound calcium dosage

You don't need a scale for the calcium, just a needle and syringe. :D

Two pound duck:
2/2.2 x 100/230 = 0.39ml of Calcium Gluconate orally from the syringe (remove needle).
Dose for two pound duck is 0.39ml.

Three pound duck:
2/2.2 x 100/230 = 0.59ml of Calcium Gluconate orally from the syringe (remove needle).
Dose for three pound duck is 0.59ml.

The only need for a scale would be for weighing the ducks, but guessing their weight will also work.
Does that make more sense?

-Kathy

Yep, perfect sense! Thank you!

Funniest thing, I got back from buying the calcium gluconate and there were 2 beautiful hard-shelled eggs waiting for me!

I've heard two opinions; one is that it's normal for a duck to lay inconsistently when she's first starting out and you could get some weird eggs (soft, large, doubleyolk) in the beginning, and two is that if it's unusual in the beginning you better worry. What do you all think... and should I hold off on the calc gluc?

Yep, perfect sense! Thank you!

Funniest thing, I got back from buying the calcium gluconate and there were 2 beautiful hard-shelled eggs waiting for me!

I've heard two opinions; one is that it's normal for a duck to lay inconsistently when she's first starting out and you could get some weird eggs (soft, large, doubleyolk) in the beginning, and two is that if it's unusual in the beginning you better worry. What do you all think... and should I hold off on the calc gluc?
I'd probably save the calcium for later.

-Kathy

Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook says 50-100mg/kg

http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf
Here is a copy and paste from above link:

DRUG NAME SPECIES DOSAGE (mg/kg unless otherwise stated) ROUTE DOSAGE INTERVAL C.I.** REFERENCE COMMENTS (see references for duration, precautions and
contraindications)Calcium Gluconate Avian 100-300 IM-SC NL E 1480 Add phytonadione for bleeding syndrome
Calcium Gluconate Avian 5-10 IM-SC BID E 1473
Calcium Gluconate Avian 50-100 IV NL E 1473 Slowly to effect
Calcium Gluconate Avian 5-10 IM NL E 1474
Calcium Gluconate Avian 50-100 IV NL E 1474 Give slowly, follow with oxytocin ordinoprostone for egg binding, may addvitamin E + selenium
Calcium Gluconate Avian 100-300 SC NL E 148

How did your chicken do? I have an egg bound chicken currently and on my way to buy the calcium gluconate. I don't understand the dosage information...maybe you had success and could help me out. Thank you.

The calcium gluconate has 230mg per 1ml (cc) and the range I have seen mentioned is anywhere from 50-300mg/kg. My small bantams get 1cc and my larger hens get 3-5cc.

-Kathy

On the recommendation of my vet, I now use 100mg/kg once or twice a day, but I also give fluids either by tube or subcutaneously.

-Kathy

Hi Kathy -

I hope I'm not taking over the OP question, but the calcium gluconate bottle indicated once open, use all of it at once. So does that mean it's no good the 2nd day??? If it's still good, how long does it last on the shelf at room temperature (?) Do I administer the dosage to my hen on a daily basis? and if so, for how long? Earlier today, I used a syringe and gave her about 1/4 tsp. of it. She laid a very thin shell egg today - it cracked on one end. She had laid eggs with no shell several times before and her egg shell has always been on a thin side. Thank you, for your help!

Hi Kathy -

I hope I'm not taking over the OP question, but the calcium gluconate bottle indicated once open, use all of it at once. So does that mean it's no good the 2nd day??? If it's still good, how long does it last on the shelf at room temperature (?) Do I administer the dosage to my hen on a daily basis? and if so, for how long? Earlier today, I used a syringe and gave her about 1/4 tsp. of it. She laid a very thin shell egg today - it cracked on one end. She had laid eggs with no shell several times before and her egg shell has always been on a thin side. Thank you, for your help!
Not sure how long it lasts at room temp, last one I did that with grew mold, so now I keep mine in the fridge and use it for months. When I have egg problems with mine, I give 0.2ml per pound orally once or twice a day for a few days.

-Kathy

Quote:
Thanks for this, Kathy. I sent you a PM but you answered my questions in this thread already. I have the bottle and am starting treatment on my hen today. Her eggs have always been humongous and elongated and she's not a huge hen, either. One seems to be stuck up high and she's lethargic and starting to lose weight. Have to try to save her. Serena is only a couple of years old.

Quote:
Thanks for this, Kathy. I sent you a PM but you answered my questions in this thread already. I have the bottle and am starting treatment on my hen today. Her eggs have always been humongous and elongated and she's not a huge hen, either. One seems to be stuck up high and she's lethargic and starting to lose weight. Have to try to save her. Serena is only a couple of years old.
What I do now with the ones that have them stuck high up is get lots of fluids in them either orally or subcutaneously, give calcium gluconate at about 50 mg per pound orally or subcutaneously and stick them in a warm room full of steam. Note that if I give it subcutaneously, I only do that with a new bottle. The one that's in my fridge now has been there for months, and looks okay, just not sure I'd wanna inject one with it, if you know what I mean.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Last edited:
Quote:
What I do now with the ones that have them stuck high up is get lots of fluids in them either orally or subcutaneously, give calcium gluconate at about 50 mg per pound orally or subcutaneously and stick them in a warm room full of steam. Note that if I give it subcutaneously, I only do that with a new bottle. The one that's in my fridge now has been there for months, but looks okay, just not sure I'd wanna inject one with it, if you know what I mean.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Thanks, Kathy. Yeah, I won't inject any that isn't fresh. I squirted it into her mouth followed by water. She is drinking so that's a good thing and she's in Zane's old cage so she won't be bothered. I've never tried this, only that emergency Tums thing, but this has to be much more effective.

Back
Top Bottom