Egg bound calcium dosage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mickeymousears, Aug 26, 2013.

1. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    My Red is lethargic, not eating/drinking since yesterday. Today her belly is distended and I caught her standing in the nest box for over an hour (didnt see when she went in).

I gave her a warm bath for 20min and she started panting (she's always the first to complain about warm weather). I felt around the inside of the vent and i *think* i felt a soft egg.
    I came across a few articles on calcium injection for egg impaction, but no dosage info.
    I have "poultry nutri-drench" that has 0.4-0.7% calcium and is taken orally. I also bought "calcium gluconate 23%" for cattle/sheep. Will one of these work?? How much calcium is needed to expel the egg?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would use the 23% and give it orally in the muscle or under the skin. Nutri Drench will not work.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook says 50-100mg/kg

http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf
    Here is a copy and paste from above link:

DRUG NAME SPECIES DOSAGE (mg/kg unless otherwise stated) ROUTE DOSAGE INTERVAL C.I.** REFERENCE COMMENTS (see references for duration, precautions and
    contraindications)Calcium Gluconate Avian 100-300 IM-SC NL E 1480 Add phytonadione for bleeding syndrome
    Calcium Gluconate Avian 5-10 IM-SC BID E 1473
    Calcium Gluconate Avian 50-100 IV NL E 1473 Slowly to effect
    Calcium Gluconate Avian 5-10 IM NL E 1474
    Calcium Gluconate Avian 50-100 IV NL E 1474 Give slowly, follow with oxytocin ordinoprostone for egg binding, may addvitamin E + selenium
    Calcium Gluconate Avian 100-300 SC NL E 148

5. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Can you please help me decipher this? I prefer orally- but will do SQ if I have to. It says follow with oxy- which I don't have (ill call the farm supply in the morn and see if they sell it)

She is a 2yr old RIR- I'm guessing 5# or so. How many MLs? If I give it orally does it need to be diluted? And twice a day for how long (or am I reading it wrong)?

Thank you so much for helping me!!! I'm so scared I'm going to loose her - she is the sweetest chicken :(

6. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    She's picking at some watermelon- I hope that's a good sign.

7. Loveabully

Loveabully New Egg

Dec 18, 2013
    Sylmar, CA
    How did your chicken do? I have an egg bound chicken currently and on my way to buy the calcium gluconate. I don't understand the dosage information...maybe you had success and could help me out. Thank you.

8. FenikT

FenikT Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2012
    For a subcutaneous injection, 0.5 to 0.75 CC once daily is sufficient. SC is preferable to oral, as use of a calcium & vit E supplement like Walmart Wellnesse formula can be given at a rate of 1 CC orally (use syringe minus the needle). A drench has vitamins but insufficient calcium for the desired purpose.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

The calcium gluconate has 230mg per 1ml (cc) and the range I have seen mentioned is anywhere from 50-300mg/kg. My small bantams get 1cc and my larger hens get 3-5cc.

-Kathy

10. Loveabully

Loveabully New Egg

Dec 18, 2013
    Sylmar, CA
    Thank you! Do you give it orally? I am not sure how to give it intravenously...I have a needle and could do it just not sure where you stick them....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by