Egg bound Chicken help

J Hill

Songster
5 Years
Aug 21, 2017
Dallas, Ga
My Coop
My Coop
I think I have an egg bound chicken. She is walking funny and swollen at her vent. I soaked her twice yesterday in a warm Epson salt bath, crushed calcium tablets over her food and put oil around her vent. She is eating and drinking and I did see her poop today. I need to soak her again but I think she is mad at me for doing that to her yesterday . Is there anything else I can do to help her?

Attachments

• BFA3F4D0-A6B9-42A5-9145-9B815E53159E.jpeg
    BFA3F4D0-A6B9-42A5-9145-9B815E53159E.jpeg
    406.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DE178FB2-78CB-4D16-AC4C-B033F3536D1C.jpeg
    DE178FB2-78CB-4D16-AC4C-B033F3536D1C.jpeg
    547.1 KB · Views: 27
I think I have an egg bound chicken. She is walking funny and swollen at her vent. I soaked her twice yesterday in a warm Epson salt bath, crushed calcium tablets over her food and put oil around her vent. She is eating and drinking and I did see her poop today. I need to soak her again but I think she is mad at me for doing that to her yesterday . Is there anything else I can do to help her?
How long has she been like this?
You gave her a soak, did you feel inside the vent about 1-2" for an egg?
If you can get some photos of her poop that would be good too.
What type of food/treats do you feed?
That swelling - what does it feel like - fluid, hard, soft?

She does look miserable. I would not worry if she's mad or not.
If you don't feel an egg, then I would suspect she's suffering from reproductive problems - Internal Laying, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors and Salpingitis are common in laying hens. If there is fluid, it can sometimes be drained to give temporary relief and help prolong life.
I would also monitor her crop to see that's it empty in the mornings before she eats/drinks.

Do what you can to get her hydrated, then eating. Keep us posted.
upload_2019-4-17_22-18-14.png

You didn't mention a blow dry after her spa treatments; It's my understanding that hens LOVE that. Perhaps that's why she's mad?
I have a very large oval bucket that is only used for soaks at the Chicken Spa. I usually do 2-3 soaks per spa night, mostly because 1 & 2 are best at getting chicken bums clean. 3rd time is a nice, relaxing soak that usually finds the hen bobbing like a cork & super relaxed. All the while, I splash water gently on her vent. Once the water starts to cool, or she stops enjoying herself, out she comes! I set her on towels & use other towels to soak up as much water as possible. I use my dryer on low, keeping it far enough away from the hen so as not to burn her. I dry with one hand and fluff the feathers with my other hand. I've never had anyone fuss & not want a warm blow dry & fluff.

I hope your girl gets better.

Back
Top Bottom