Egg bound Chicken help

It breaks my heart to tell you I had to put Henrietta down . The vet said there is nothing I could have done to prevent it from happening it’s just something that happens with chickens sometimes. He said he could drain her but there were no guarantees that she would survive and it would probably fill back up and kill her anyway. He took X-rays and she was so full of yolk and fluids that you couldn’t see her organs on the X-ray .

Egg yolk peritonitis (the presence of yolk material in the coelomic cavity) is a common cause of abdominal distension in birds. Yolk material by itself induces a mild inflammatory response and may be reabsorbed by the peritoneum. Because yolk is an excellent growth medium for bacteria, peritonitis may result from secondary bacterial infection. Localized to diffuse fibrinous peritonitis may result, and may lead to secondary ascites and organ inflammation or compromise in chronic cases.
Awwww, I am so sorry to hear that you had to put Henrietta to sleep. It's an awful thing when they didn't do anything wrong, you didn't do anything wrong and yet they can't be healed. Many of us have been through it and it flat out sucks the wind right outta your sails... and it doesn't do anything good for our chicken friends, either.

Sorry for your loss. You did all you could and did right by her.

Back
Top Bottom