Egg bound chicken. -I think

campgarvin

Hatching
Oct 19, 2018
New to BYCs-I have a 2+ year old girl who I think is egg bound. She was not herself and had pale comb a few days ago ,kind of standing around slightly puffed up and today she was not doing better. Did some research and determined she might be egg bound. Stomach super tight and I can feel what I am assuming are eggs -at least 2 - on her left side. Fed her yogurt, brought her inside, gave warm bath with epsom salt, more feed with crushed calcium supplement, some yogurt and raspberries, waited about an hour, no egg. I put my finger lubricated with oil in her vent but didn't touch/feel an egg- probably went in about 1/2 inch or so. Gave her another warm bath and now she's asleep in a temp cage in the house. Anyone's thoughts on next steps greatly appreciated! Thinking vet in the AM?

I'm sorry you didn't get an answer yet. With the hard abdomen and feeling masses I would suspect that she has a reproductive problem like internal laying, salpingitis, or maybe a cancer. If a vet is an option for you they may be able to confirm if that is the case, and suggest if any treatments are possible, but likely the options for treatment are poor. So sorry, these are not uncommon in laying hens over the age of two.

I'm sorry you didn't get an answer yet. With the hard abdomen and feeling masses I would suspect that she has a reproductive problem like internal laying, salpingitis, or maybe a cancer. If a vet is an option for you they may be able to confirm if that is the case, and suggest if any treatments are possible, but likely the options for treatment are poor. So sorry, these are not uncommon in laying hens over the age of two.

Thank you! Did some online research and am realizing that a girl who died a few months ago probably had salpingitis based on how she was acting and that I did find one of those weird cartilage type "droppings" in the poop tray. No sign of those abnormal 'eggs lately but still not ruling out. There is a big egg just wanting to come out but she just isn't trying. Have given 4 baths over 24 hours, kept on her own and plenty warm but no sign of improvement. Wah...

Have you given any calcium today? A human tums or calcium tablet, ground up can be given if it's egg binding. Is she pooping? If she's egg bound she won't be able to go, if she's still able to go then it's likely something else. If she's egg bound a finger inserted about 1.5 - 2 inches, you should be able to feel it. If there is nothing there, again it's likely something else. With salpingitis they will sometimes pass a lash egg, but sometimes they do not, the matter just builds up inside. There are many cases where it isn't diagnosed for sure until necropsy. Likewise with internal laying, it will just build up inside. There can be quite a lot of matter built up in the abdomen sometimes, depending on how long it's been going on, which is why the abdomen feels hard.

Back
Top Bottom