Egg bound chicken!

CharmingChickens

🦜🦃🐓🦢🦆Started with chickens now has an army 🦆🦢🐓🦃🦜
Apr 30, 2023
Maine
Last night I came outside to put my flock to bed. I noticed my 4 year old golden comet hen was standing in one of their makeshift “nests” she was also kinda falling asleep. I didn’t think too much of it. This morning I came out and she was in the same exact spot looking very Ill. I ran inside made her scrambled eggs with nutritional yeast. I was relieved to see she ate. Then I thought. Her position was kinda upwards and her vent area was harder than usual. I think she must be egg bound. I’ve had chickens for 5 years and never once had an egg bound hen so this is new to me. I brought her inside, put her in a warm episom salt bath for 20 minutes, then i put her in a cage in the basement with food water and covered it with a sheet so it would be dark. Is there anything else that would help besides a warm bath? I have some questions.

1: how long does it usually take to Get the egg out of her.

2: if we successfully remove the egg, will she most likely become egg bound again?

I can’t take her to the vet as my parents see chickens as something not worth spending extra money on.

So if you have any advice please tell me!

Here’s a picture of her I assume she’s egg bound but if you think it’s something else please tell me!
95CED75E-2299-4443-A2F1-065FAE2E6343.jpeg

She’s wet because she just got out of the warm bath.

Here’s a picture of her vent I tried to get a clear one but it was hard
DE61833C-4018-4FFF-84CC-1803DF5519F1.jpeg

There seems to be white gooey stuff on it, you can’t tell well it the picture. It also seems like she’s grunting? So yeah, any advice would be great. This is one of my sweetest hens and I’d hate to lose her.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s been a whole day and still no progress. I’m pretty sure she started to become egg bound yesterday. I’ve given her 3 warm episom salt baths 20+ minutes each. I’ve given her tums. And I’ve put vegetable oil on her vent. Nothing seems to work. I’m worried she won’t survive the night. Her position has become a lot more upright than before. And I noticed she was able to poop once. She doesn’t preen at all and never really dries off well after her bath. And she seems to sleep all day. I feel so bad for her. Egg binding stinks. I hope you get better honey.
E68D45CD-B434-4856-8E5A-D8851C25ACFA.jpeg

Can you feel an egg inside the vent?

I'd get extra Calcium into her to hopefully help her push the egg or material on out.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Soaking is fine if she's not too lethargic or in a great deal of distress. It's good that she was able to poop. Do encourage her to drink/stay hydrated.

After soaking, she may enjoy being dried a little with a hair dryer, just take care she doesn't overheat.

I hope she pulls through too, keep us posted.

Not looking good today.. it’s day 2 and a half. She’s lost all her balance.
B97FE0D6-B7A0-47B0-AA4E-646BEDE85DF9.jpeg
3CED15A4-8E91-45FE-A479-2CEE337CF5A2.jpeg

All she does is lay in the corner of her cage. Her poop looks very strange. Chunky? I’m so sure she’s egg bound. Her oringinal position and I feel like I felt an egg. It feels like she has given up. I bought some calcium citrate today and just gave her one pill. I also put more vegetable oil on her vent and another warm water epsom salt soak. I really hope she recovers but it’s not looking promising. 😢

I'm sorry she's not doing any better:hugs

What is her name?

Try to work on encouraging her drink.
Giving the Calcium is good too.

Sometimes a hen may seem to be egg bound, but they may have a reproductive disorder like Peritonitis, Cancer, Internal Laying or Salpingitis. These conditions can make them feel really bad and often they don't make it.

You're doing a nice job taking care of her. I hope she starts to feel better, but I must agree with you that it doesn't look very promising.

I'm sorry she's not doing any better:hugs

What is her name?

Try to work on encouraging her drink.
Giving the Calcium is good too.

Sometimes a hen may seem to be egg bound, but they may have a reproductive disorder like Peritonitis, Cancer, Internal Laying or Salpingitis. These conditions can make them feel really bad and often they don't make it.

You're doing a nice job taking care of her. I hope she starts to feel better, but I must agree with you that it doesn't look very promising.
Her name is Honey. This morning I checked on her, she is in the same exact corner, sleeping. I’m starting to think it’s something worse than being egg bound like the things you stated. Thanks for the information and support, I’ll keep you updated on how she does.

I’m starting to think I might ask my dad to put her down. It just seems like she’s suffering to me. And I don’t want her to. I don’t think she’s going to make it anyway, so why put her through this? I’ve tried everything to help but don’t know what else to do. She just stays in the same corner all day sleeping, she doesn’t eat or drink so I have to force her to. She has no balance at all she can’t even Stand anymore. I don’t know what else to do. 🙁

I’m starting to think I might ask my dad to put her down. It just seems like she’s suffering to me. And I don’t want her to. I don’t think she’s going to make it anyway, so why put her through this? I’ve tried everything to help but don’t know what else to do. She just stays in the same corner all day sleeping, she doesn’t eat or drink so I have to force her to. She has no balance at all she can’t even Stand anymore. I don’t know what else to do. 🙁
I'm very sorry that Honey is not improving. :hugs

It would be good if you speak with your Dad and have him give his opinion and if need be, take the necessary steps to put her out of her misery.

Back
Top Bottom