Egg Bound Chicken

the pills are 500 mg and I would guess shes a min of 5 lbs also she hasn't drank any water that I have seem though she will peck it off my finger. her comb and wattles a bright red again and she seem more active and talkative though I can tell she still feels bad and her poop is almost a lime green color and runny what can I do to help this? she also doesn't seem to be eating but she has a full crop has been that way scene yesterday night went down a bit but not much I syringed feed her some mashed up feed with electrolyte water along with sugar about 2 hours ago and she put up a huge fuss about it

Your hen is probably very sick and you should start by bringing her inside where it is warm. Then you need to learn how to tube:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

If you think you can do that, let me know, I'm available by phone to help.

-Kathy

If her crop is full of food, she shouldn't tube feed though right - until she gets the crop empty? I don't have experience with this, but I think you can hold the chicken upside down and gently massage the crop in order to get the sour food to come out their mouth. Add Apple Cider Vinegar to water too? I would think that she should give water, even if by dropper full at a time, but hold off on food until the chicken is well enough to feed on her own.

just checked on her again she has been in the house the last few days she's more alert and drinking and scratching around when I let her out of the cage although all she wants to do is laydown when shes in the cage so im going to keep her in for a few more days and keep and eye on her and keep up calcium water and some antibiotics

Sounds like you don't want to tube... That's your choice, but if she is dehydrated and you keep giving calcium that will do more harm than good. Research visceral gout in poultry, you'll see what I mean. If she were mine I would give the calcium no more than two times, but I would also tube fluids to get her crop empty.

-Kathy

shes drinking by herself now but if she stops then I plan on tube feeding she's scratching around more looking for food when I let her out of her cage and her energy is coming back

Back
Top Bottom